Author Topic: Freshly bitten  (Read 9136 times)

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Freshly bitten
« on: August 13, 2007, 02:19:29 am »
Hello all:

I’ve recently been bitten by some type of bug.  It makes me want to tie my own flies, carve my own decoys, shoot black powder guns that use a #11 cap, and most recently build a bow. 

Without going completely off the deep end too quickly, my first step is to refinish an old #40 re-curve that I tramped around with as a kid.  My folks being of the Depression Era never throw anything away, and I found it over at their place.  It looks to be shoot-able with the majority of repairs being cosmetic, (fresh finish, new strike plate, felt shelf, etc) and of course a new string.

I’ve shot a compound some, and was always pretty decent, but then who couldn’t be since it’s all a matter of rehearsed mechanical movements.  When I first picked up the new string for the re-curve, I had to try it out, prior to making any repairs.  Being an instinctive shotgun shooter, I applied the same principles to my first shot with the re-curve.  Lock in on the target with your vision and attempt to see the proverbial feathers on the bird’s neck or the rings on the clay. Forget about the barrels as the hands will go where the eyes go.  Archery is the same: draw, anchor, visually lock-in, exhale,  release, follow through.  At a pace of fifteen GIANT steps, I placed three of the twelve in the three inch yellow bull’s eye and the rest clustered in the very near vicinity slightly off to the right; on par or slightly better than my last attempt with the wheel bow, mechanical release and fiber optic pins.  The bug bite really began to itch. 

At the time, it was 102 degrees at the PGA Championship in Tulsa 60 miles up the Turnpike.  Sweat soaked through my new arm guard and glove.  Now, all I can think of is cooler weather and the chance to hunt with the new/old re-curve. I can’t wait to practice more so I can feel confident enough to take an ethical shot at game.  Once it’s cool enough to work in my shop without my own perspiration raising the moisture content of the wood I’m working, I want to build a bow.  First a self, then a backed bow.  Wood?  Probably hickory or ash in that I have those growing on my place.  I’ve got Boise de Arc too, but from what I’ve read in PA, that will have to wait.  Supposedly a sawmill in Spavenaw sells Ipe, at least according to the guy at Woodcraft.  I’d never even heard of the wood until I bought my first PA magazine.  Why a sawmill in Oklahoma would carry a wood from South America is beyond me, but I figure it’s a sign.

I can’t wait to catch my first brown or rainbow on a fly made from the buck tail of my first primitive deer.  I’m checking the ODWC regulations to see if an arrow over wooden decoys is a legal means of taking ducks.  I’m afraid the infection is incurable and at best, can only be contained.         

I found this site quite by accident.  I then purchased the magazine.  I then registered as a user and here I am.  It’s good to be here.  Stand by for lots of questions. 

Thank you in advance.

Otoe Bow
“Mike”       
 ;)

So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline medicinewheel

Re: Freshly bitten
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 03:43:22 am »
Hello all:

I’ve recently been bitten by some type of bug.  It makes me want to (...)  build a bow. 

know about this bug. really dangerous. causes an incurable decease....

;D

frank

ps: i worked with ipe on the weekend: be really carefull, the dust is poisonous!!!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 06:21:59 am »
No cure that I know of. ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 07:35:40 am »
Nope no cure, making shavings provides temporary relief ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 08:41:20 am »
Orkin and Terminix can't do a thing for that bug. I'm guilty of the bow and arrow building, muzzleloader shooting, fly tying, flintknapping and all the rest that goes with it, so I can confirm that it's incurable.  Welcome aboard, I prescribe a daily dose of PA.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline butch

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 09:07:24 am »
welcome. my name is butch aand we live up far north at keystone lake. 20 mile west of pga.

jamie

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 09:15:08 am »
be careful its also contagious. others around you can get easily. it usually starts when the eyes widen and then the corners of the mouth bend up. welcome aboard. peace

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 09:27:16 am »
The question is WHY WOULD I WANT TO BE CURED?  I'm like you, building bows, arrows, fly tying, flintknapping, trapping, hide tanning.........     And now I have the stone tool bug too.  But I am loving every minute of it.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 10:03:45 am »
Hey Butch:  I've been to Keystone often.  We like to Camp (RV) there and ride mountain bikes.  I live between Carney and Chandler (Otoe Township).  I was wondering if there were any other Okies here. 

All:  Another strange twist.  I've started looking for copperheads.   

So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 10:38:18 am »
Otoe, this is sure fun. There's some info on my site. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline david w.

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 10:42:55 am »
bow buildings lots of fun i completed my first one yesterday.

flytying fun too i do that alot
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

tradrick

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 11:22:28 am »
I know what you mean I've been bitten too.It started when I was just going to local 3D shoots.Then I heard of one called the Tenn.Classic hosted by Pappy on this site.I decided that was'nt to far away and made the trip to check it out.All I went for was to shoot but noooo!! That was'nt good enough I had to start pokeing around were they were building bows.Always wanted to give it a try.Long story short.I never did get to finish the target course.I shot the first 20 and started makeing shaveings and never even thought of finishing the course.Geting ready to start my second one now.Gettin my little shop set-up as we speak.I also just subscribed to PA magazine and recieved my first copy.I think symptoms just whent from bad to worse.Have fun with it I know I am.tradrick

a finnish native

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 12:11:29 pm »
I got bit just like you. At first it was tying flies then WONDERING what it would be to bow hunt then I bought a plastic bow for 10 euros (9,5 $) and then it hit me. BOW'S BOW'S BOW'S BOW'S with traditional style.

Offline butch

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 02:28:23 pm »
otoe, you got any deer or pigs down there on the canadian. also found another okie down in blanchard, south of OKC. he emailed me this am. lets go make meat..   butch7399@aol.com

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 08:06:43 pm »

All:  Another strange twist.  I've started looking for copperheads.   

Well, that kind of thing is the risk of being infected. ;)    But don't let it go too far, you might end up wearing a loincloth like Jamie..... :D ;D

Welcome, glad to have you here.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.