Author Topic: A guest no more-My introduction  (Read 12264 times)

Offline RDK

A guest no more-My introduction
« on: February 29, 2012, 07:05:42 pm »
I’ve been shooting a bow since I was a little kid- I still have my first bow—a Ben Pearson fiberglass 20# long bow that was taller than me. My Uncle introduced me to archery.  He hunted with one of the early Bear fiberglass recurves (late 40'-early 50's) My dad was quite a gun hunter with trips to Africa and the Far North—  I still remember struggling to pull my first bow---hard to believe that was 60 years ago-and we still shoot a Bear recurve my dad got for me when I was in highschool—I remember his story of stopping at the Bear Archery Company in Grayling…… I have been making my own bows for quite awhile—just for fun----fortunately I do garden--——and very grateful for the TBB!!
My wife and I went to Cuba Illinois to make our first stave self bows with Bernie Swank in the mid 90’s.  My family lives near Bellingham, WA so when we visited (once a year) we had to spend time at Northwest Archery. We have vivid memories of the kindness of the St. Charles family, and getting a personal tour of the museum by Glenn St. Charles.; autographed books by him are treasured.  My brother and I made some beautiful yew long bows with Jay St. Charles, and later my brother and I headed to Bernie Swank’s for another round of working on Osage.  Wonderful memories of great times together with good folks.

My wife and I cashed out two years ago and are building an artisan dairy/creamery on 46 acres east of South Haven, Michigan.  We are a Grade A dairy milking 60 dairy goats and a herd of 20 dairy water buffalo-at least there better be twenty to milk this season or they’ll be heading to freezer camp. They get more focused on putting milk in the bucket when I tell them I have a dream of making a water buffalo horn-sinew bow----- We shoot on a regular basis, my wife is an outstanding archer, and when there is time I work on arrows, bows and knap points using obsidian my nephews and brother sent me from Glass Butte. Everything has a story.

We’ve met a number of you at various gatherings.  I like this forum—I’ve been a guest for years.  I like the rules-I like the encouragement and the spirit.  The craftsmanship and creativity are outstanding!  I like the international community here.  But I need to say that one of the greatest attractions for me in doing primitive/traditional archery is the connection with our past , the ethics and respect, and that everything we touch bows, arrows, feathers, and the skills we learn—all have their own story- that defines each of uspersonally and as a community.

Thanks……
"Everyday north of the grass is a good day!"

"Be wise; we need Mother Earth, Mother Earth does not need us."

Ron,   Bangor, Michigan

Offline osage outlaw

Re: A guest no more-My introduction
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 07:16:24 pm »
Welcome  :)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 07:19:08 pm »
Another Michigander, alright! Welcome to the forum and please do post plenty of wooden bow pics, new and late models are all welcome.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 08:00:04 pm »
Yes Sir, one more from Michigan. A lot of archery history here for sure.
rich

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 09:30:05 pm »
Water buff?  Oh man, I want some fresh mozzarella!  Buffler Mozz is the best!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 09:51:38 pm »
Hey nice to have you here as a member!!! I have had a tour of the st charles museum by VHS and it looks like a great place hope to make it there someday in person! I sure would like to try some of that grade A milk!! I live in a dairy farming town and my dad has halled milk for a long time nothing like fresh cold milk right out of the tank! Thanks for the introduction and hope to see some of your work!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 11:08:46 pm »
Welcome RDK, Glad you decided to get on board and join the Family,  Kick off your shoes and make yourself at home. :o

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 11:42:14 pm »
Welcome RDK, please share more of your rich archery history.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 01:00:49 am »
Welcome from the Ole South!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Will H

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 01:20:38 am »
Welcome, welcome!!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 01:56:34 am »
Welcome !  lots a room for bowaholics.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline coaster500

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 01:56:52 am »
Welcome you have found some kindred spirits here  :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

TurtleCreek

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 05:56:54 am »
Welcome!!!!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 07:38:24 am »
Welcome,good to have you on board. :) Very well said. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 10:30:50 am »
Excellent introduction, welcome aboard!
1’—>1’