Author Topic: cherry sapwood  (Read 4898 times)

Offline rkeltner

cherry sapwood
« on: November 07, 2007, 12:13:37 pm »
i have some so-so staves of wild cherry, and in the past i've simply removed the sapwood. my question, have i been wasting or have i been exerting unneeded effort? i know cherry is weak in tension, so that (and my inexperience at the time) explains some of why some of my early attempts broke, but cherry is wonderfully light, and i've been thinking about a silk backed, cherry holmegaard.

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: cherry sapwood
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 05:53:37 pm »

If this wood is Black Cherry, like the kind that grows here in North Alabama, I would leave the sap wood on.
A silk backing should help (if not stop) your breaking problem.

I cant remember where it was, maybe at the TN Classic, but I saw a sinew backed Black Cherry Bow.
It shot very well.  The sinew combined with the light weight cherry wood made a great combination.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 08:15:59 pm »
Hmmm food for thought, I have about 20 BC staves stashed but so far I've only met with failure.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Aries

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 11:10:54 pm »
Please tell me if i am wrong, but i think I remember reading somewhere about cherry bark being used as a bowbacking.The picture showed a dark reddish color of the backing. Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 12:09:26 am »
Ty, that is a different cherry. I don't know if BC bark would be suitable for backings.
   I have made sapwood only(a little heart in the handle) cherry bows. They were overbuilt as per Paul Comstock. They were heavy and slow. That could have been my fault. ;D   With whitewood  you have to handle it properly from stump to stave and beyond. Rot can and will move in and ruin good bow wood. I may have to try it again.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 07:51:59 am »
330bull did a build along on backing a bow with cherry bark do a search for
I hope this link works.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,2366.0.html
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI