Author Topic: Present day Hadza hunter  (Read 9293 times)

Offline Shaun

Present day Hadza hunter
« on: March 06, 2012, 01:55:19 pm »
I have a friend who grew up in SA and is back on the Dark Continent visiting. He sent me this wonderful photo of a Hadza tribesman with hunting gear from Tanzania.

I have included part of Dean's e-mail description of this part of his journey:
  We enjoyed walks with the hadza men, hunting, exploring ancient rock paintings and collecting two different kinds of honey.  We watched and joined the men roasting and eating a Hyrax which Makarra shot with his bow. The liver and tongue were actually quite tasty.  We watched as the young men made arrows and arrowheads then took part in shooting the bows.  We were not in the ballpark when it came to matching skills with the Hadza.  We visited a new hadza camp and went out with the women to dig for tubers and roots for the evening meal.  Their echo-location for roots was amazing and there was ample food for all to eat.

As Daudi said this morning, "The Hadza experience true freedom in the way that they live."  They are dependent only on themselves as opposed to our total dependence on our speciallized society.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Present day Hadza hunter
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 02:16:38 pm »
Beautiful picture I'd love to try one of their bows and a bit of BBQ Hyrax.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 02:38:53 pm »
That's awesome.  Ahhh the good old days ;)

Offline druid

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 02:41:17 pm »
Excellent photo and great work on that bow. Thanks for sharing!

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 02:50:58 pm »
       Very nice. Is it just me or does that bow look exactly like an ELB?

Steve Bennett

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 03:13:58 pm »
Too short for an ELB...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Sempertiger

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 03:31:08 pm »
I didn't know hyrax were that big. It really blends in with his cloths, hanging there from his belt.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
~Albert Einstein~

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 03:53:16 pm »
I am impressed with the 'piecemaker' against his shoulder.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 03:55:19 pm »
Looks fun !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 05:19:13 pm »
Interesting tackle.  I'm still unsure how that style of bracing a bow works... ???
1’—>1’

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 05:49:26 pm »
I would like to know what kind of wood he used for his very well tillered bow?  Yum...rodent!!

Offline coaster500

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 06:30:23 pm »
Great picture..

Onwas himself, though he's scarcely ventured beyond the periphery of the bush, senses that profound changes are coming. This does not appear to bother him. Onwas, as he repeatedly told me, doesn't worry about the future. He doesn't worry about anything. No Hadza I met, in fact, seemed prone to worry. It was a mind-set that astounded me, for the Hadza, to my way of thinking, have very legitimate worries. Will I eat tomorrow? Will something eat me tomorrow? Yet they live a remarkably present-tense existence.

This may be one reason farming has never appealed to the Hadza—growing crops requires planning; seeds are sown now for plants that won't be edible for months. Domestic animals must be fed and protected long before they're ready to butcher. To a Hadza, this makes no sense. Why grow food or rear animals when it's being done for you, naturally, in the bush? When they want berries, they walk to a berry shrub. When they desire baobab fruit, they visit a baobab tree. Honey waits for them in wild hives. And they keep their meat in the biggest storehouse in the world—their land. All that's required is a bit of stalking and a well-shot arrow.

National Geographic...  Hadza

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 07:54:46 pm »
that is an awesome picture! would love to see that at full draw.
Too short for an ELB...
Del
it is as tall as he is
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 08:14:42 pm »
He is the closest thing to a primitive archer now a days. Always loved african archery. Not only do they make capable weapons but they are in the bush with animals that would make most of us wet our pants! I wish I could really call myself a primitive archer but until you live off your bow day after day I do not think that it if fair to men like that! In the mean time I will dream.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 12:58:58 am »
Thanks for posting this!! I would love some more information on Hadzabe bows. Anyone got some info to share? Links aren't allowed so maybe someone could pm me???  I'd greatly appreciate it

Jalen
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson