Author Topic: Question about ring density...  (Read 4203 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Question about ring density...
« on: August 14, 2007, 03:21:36 pm »
Just had a call from the local parks dept. who are generously offering me some white elm logs removed from the parks...
Question was asked if I wanted limbs as they generally have tighter rings which in theory should make stronger wood? ???

I told him I didn't know for sure and would check it out.....so, which do I want for selfbows or backed? Tight groth rings or  less dense rings, which may have a thickness of 1/2" between them

Offline DanaM

Re: Question about ring density...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 06:44:28 am »
Personally I would take either as long as the gettin is good ;D Free wood is always good.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 07:04:44 am »
It depends on weather you plan on chasing them or not,I personally prefer the tighter growth rings,I think the wood is denser but some will argue the thicker rings make for a stronger back.
I don't know for sure,but have not had any trouble with the thin ones. :)Like Dana said if it is free it is all good.  ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 08:34:58 am »
Great....I think I'll take what I can get and be grateful it's free...maybe even build the gentleman I've been talking to, a bow in appreciatiuon..gotta keep in the good graces....

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 10:16:22 am »
I like the word free. Just keep in mind there is a compression and tension side to limbs and orient the back with the tension side as the back. Got it or is more explanation needed? :) jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

SimonUK

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 10:20:52 am »
I recently tried to tiller a tight-ringed elm bow and got a lot of set. There were about 20 rings per inch.  I've heard others say that wide rings are better in these broad leaved trees.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 12:26:30 pm »
I like the word free. Just keep in mind there is a compression and tension side to limbs and orient the back with the tension side as the back. Got it or is more explanation needed? :) jawge

George...yeah, I think I got it...the bark side becomes the back....

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 12:31:56 pm »
Archer I think what George is saying is the top of the limb is tension side thus becomes the back of bow. The bottom is compression wood and is firewood.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong eh.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI