Author Topic: glass/porcelain?  (Read 12167 times)

jamie

glass/porcelain?
« on: August 15, 2007, 08:14:43 pm »
dont know what this stuf is but i found a whole slew of it today. was takin a break at the hospital and decided to climb down a bank where i pitch whats left of the deer carcasses  to see what kind of bones i could salvage. found a lot . on my way up i found this stuff so i percussed 3 knives like this one. just need to preesure flake some areas to clean em up.peace

Offline DanaM

Re: glass/porcelain?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 08:43:45 pm »
Looks like a piece of old white glass like they used to make plated and such out of.. Have any pics before ya hit it with a rock?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

jamie

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 08:47:18 pm »
i'll get some tomorrow. one side had toothing marks for glueing. on a couple pieces there are lamination lines that create hinges.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 07:43:59 pm »
   Jamie,I have the same glass in dark purple,green and tan.I took some up to Pat's campout.It was used on buildings around the turn of the century I was told.They were stuck on the sides with a grout like 3' square tiles.It makes excellent points and very long blades.See the "lawnmower blade"in the pictures from Pat's.I'd love to find some in that white.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 08:28:25 pm »
looks like milk glass
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

jamie

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 08:32:43 pm »
ed i'll go look and see how much there is and stock up for ya. whats milk glass?

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 08:38:36 pm »
trying to get a picture of it but you can search milk glass or fenton milk glass.  It is a white depression era glass.  hobknob style and others.  It opaque and milky white.

here found this on wikipedia.org

Milk glass is a relatively recent name for opaque, milky white or colored glass, that is blown or pressed into a wide variety of shapes. Animal-shaped covered dishes are popular collectibles. First made in Venice in the 16th century, the white color is achieved through the addition of tin oxide. 19th-century glassmakers called milky white opaque glass "Opal". Other milk glass colors include blue, pink, yellow, brown, and black.

Made into decorative dinner-ware, lamps, vases, and costume jewelry, milk glass was highly popular during the fin de siecle. Pieces made for the wealthy of the Gilded Age are known for their delicacy and beauty in color and design, while Depression glass pieces of the 1930s and '40s are less so.

Milk glass has a considerable following of collectors, and many examples can be found on eBay. Some glass makers continue to produce it, including reproductions of popular collectible pieces and patterns.

jamie

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 08:52:07 pm »
so if i find a nice collectable piece i can smash it and knap it. ;D

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 08:53:22 pm »
exactly!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 10:54:13 pm »
Jamie, that looks like old vitrolite or carrera glass. Like Eddie said, he has a bunch of it, it has the grooves on one side. I made this point out of a piece that must have been exactly like yours, I found it in an old (hundred-year-old) dump site out in the woods. Knapped great, and the color is cool. Some of the sharpest stuff I've ever fooled with, I cut my finger to the bone on a flake from this point.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 11:00:25 pm »
You are right Hillbilly it has more of an iridescence than milk glass.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 11:59:08 pm »
  Jamie,Marie is right about the milk glass.It was used on the buildings also.You could still come across some not long ago .Ponds Cold Cream bottles were a form of milk glass.And old Depression Era plates in dump sites had some.But the good stuff has an Opal look to it.I'll trade you some of mine for yours?
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 12:02:33 am »
AAAwww Eddie said I was right!  ;D He is a GOOD man isn't he!  ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 12:06:52 am »
  I figured somebody as pretty as you would always be right. ::)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 12:10:14 am »
You are funny since you don't even know what I look like!  ;D  but i am almost always right!  ;D at least in my world.  ;)

I looked back at Jamie's and his does look more like milk glass than hillbilly's maybe jamie can take another picture with more light on it.  Hillbilly's looks more like and opaque version Lalique (spelling) any of you high falootin rednecks know what that is?