Author Topic: Southeast Alaska Bow woods (help)  (Read 8014 times)

Offline Sempertiger

Re: Southeast Alaska Bow woods (help)
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 01:24:41 pm »
It's wet... each stick lost ~3/8ths of an oz over night (10g)

Since it was ruffcut, I was kind of wondering, especially after the results I got. I think I'm going to pick up a couple things today, like a moisture meter the audubon society's book on western trees, and a book on alaska's trees and shrubs.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
~Albert Einstein~

Offline Qwill

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 02:37:17 am »
I'd still give the serviceberry a try. It's a shrub here where I live too, but once in a while I find one just long enough. It heat treats well, and I have an unbacked 45# bow that's 54 inches long. It's truely tough stuff. You might even try splicing handles.  Douglas maple will be okay, if you find the right peices, and It may heat treat well too.

Offline Sempertiger

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 04:08:24 pm »
in late April/early may, I'm doing a trip from Seattle wa to Seward AK via boat. At night, when we anchor up, I'm going to glass the shore and see if I can locate anything worth harvesting. I need to see if there are any permits for harvesting a small amount of timber in Canada.

I think it would be very cool if I found a Yew, or some kind of hardwood!

Any Canadian's familiar with the permit process?

JS
~Albert Einstein~

Offline danlaw

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 04:13:50 am »
There are no permits. Are you going on the outside or inside of Vancouver Island? You might find some yew at a remote logging camp if you bring enough beer. If you're going to risk cutting something, don't get caught. I go for ocean spray myself - it's fantastic wood and nobody cares if you cut it. It's plentiful on the inside.

Offline Sempertiger

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 05:06:56 am »
Inside Vancouver. I'll bring some beer for trade, but I'm not going to break any laws. My wife and I are fortunate enough to both earn a good income and, at this point in life, I would rather aquire a stave that someone else cut, at a premium, than go through the legal process if I should get caught. I justify this by believing that I am helping to put good, honest, hardworking American's to work. I just want the memories that will surface when I look at or shoot a bow that I made from a piece of wood that I harvested.

JS
~Albert Einstein~