Author Topic: chase'n help  (Read 3474 times)

Offline chessieboy

chase'n help
« on: August 15, 2007, 09:50:14 pm »
I started to get my sage down to a ring but need some help. This is my first time and I don't want to mess it up. Anyone know any bowyers around south central PA that wouldn't mind me stoppen by? Can you guys think of any other artizens that would also chase wood to one ring (mill workers cabnet makers etc)? Any help would be great.

Bill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: chase'n help
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 12:01:33 am »
Bill, Its not that hard to do. If you screw up one ring, just go to the next. Its amazing how fast you learn when you chase a few rings. >:(  ;D  What size are the growth rings and how is the ratio between early and late rings? If you can post pics we will talk you through.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 12:19:17 am »
This is a different tree but they are similar,  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,2916.0.html  I'll be working on this one in a few months ;D. The one I have now has been cut and left on the ground for a few years so I want to reduce it to close to the size and then let it finsish drying.  I'll try to get some pics of the stave but it takes a while because I can't down load them, I have to get a friend to do it  >:( . Thanks Pat.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 12:41:21 am »
OH! those are nice rings. You shouldn't have any trouble chasing those rings. Just remove the bark and sapwood and you are there. Take it slow and one layer at a time. You will feel and hear the difference in the sound between the early(honeycombed) and late wood. After you finish removing the bark and/or the sapwood, be sure to seal the back well just in case there is still moisture in it. It will definitely check...and the log that has been on the ground.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 10:24:30 am »
I look at the end of the stave and choose  the ring I want. I remove all the bark and  sapwood  with a regular drawknife. I then put it down and pick  up my Swedish drawknife and some cooper's tools. The Swedish drawknife can be used pulling towards me, away from me or as a scraper. Often the rings on osage  are not the same thickness. That's why I use the cooper's tools. They have curved edges. You could substitute a regular scraper and a gooseneck scraper because it is  curved. Anyway, I get down to the ring I want right on the end, proceed up the left side, down the middle and up the the left side. I take my time. Handling knots is also easy and I can go into that if you have any on the stave. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!