Author Topic: Linen Backed Merbau pyramid 55lbs@26" (tillering pick update and band news)  (Read 7796 times)

Offline Sempertiger

I just wanted to post where I stopped for the night. This is a 68" NTN Merbau pyramid bow. 2" at the fades down to 1/2" at the tips. It's backed with three layers of pure linen..

I still Have a couple inches left to get everything looking right. but what do you think?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:33:23 am by Sempertiger »
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
~Albert Einstein~

Offline NruJaC

• Personal Blog
Re: Linen Backed Merbau pyramid 55lbs@26" (tillering not complete)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 06:10:18 am »
The outer limbs are very slightly too stiff, and there's a flat spot on the right limb just past midlimb.

Someone with better eyes should correct me if I'm wrong.
Arjun from Reston, VA

Offline Stefan

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 06:56:41 am »
I agree with arjun. Especially the right tip looks to stiff to me. When you're checking the bows tiller I would make sure that the bow is level, makes things easier if you ask me...
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 08:23:50 am »
Maybe a little flat mid right limb and yes the outer limbs are a little stiff, some want
them to work more,I personally like mine a little stiff at least the last 6/8 inches so that don't look that bad at all to me. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 10:09:06 am »
Take a 6" straight edge and slide up and down the belly of your bow while it is braced. If the gap lessens you scrape there.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:12:49 am by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 12:34:18 pm »
Maybe a little flat mid right limb and yes the outer limbs are a little stiff, some want
them to work more,I personally like mine a little stiff at least the last 6/8 inches so that don't look that bad at all to me. :)
   Pappy

I am also one of those who like the last 6" or so to be a little stiff, or rather I don't have a problem with it. It helps ease stacking, makes a slightly smoother draw. To me, the tiller doesn't look that bad, if I had to guess I would say the left limb is the stronger limb, and is causing the right limb to have potential hinges from being stressed more. (But that is just a guess,  :laugh:) One potential spot to have a hinge looks to be right off the fade, and the other one about 6" or so from the tip. When it gets this close I think that judging a picture can be a bit harder and sometimes give not as good a idea of the tiller as really looking at the bow in person, so I don't know, and I could be wrong. Sometimes I think shadows play tricks with my eyes, even when I am tillering a bow with the shadows bouncing off the wall behind my tiller in my work room... Good looking work though!  :laugh:
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 01:09:25 pm »
Toomany have a look at the two trianlges the string, limb and tiller board makes. Do you see how the right side trianlge is larger? Thats generally the stiff side. And is clearly is this time around. I still say draw it by hand for the truths, the tiller stick and tree wont tell you much except glaring errors.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 02:03:38 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 03:58:03 pm »
Toomany have a look at the two trianlges the string, limb and tiller board makes. Do you see how the right side trianlge is larger? Thats generally the stiff side. And is clearly is this time around.

I think you got that one mixed up a bit.  :laugh: But ya, of course you can't know for sure unless you draw it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 04:02:16 pm »
Got what mixed up?

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 04:06:11 pm »
The larger triangle is the weaker limb not the stiffer limb.

EDIT: Or maybe I got it mixed up. My brains not working too fast today.

EDIT#2: Yes, actually, the larger triangle would be the weaker limb, not the stiff one. Had to step back and think about that one for a sec.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 04:12:29 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 04:18:40 pm »
Mr Tiger your right limb is stiff mid way, your left limb is darn close.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 04:23:31 pm »
Mr Tiger your right limb is stiff mid way, your left limb is darn close.

On this bow it is hard to tell, but in general if the "triangle" that is formed of a bow on the tiller is bigger, it means the limb is weaker and working more compared to the other limb. Just think if the bow was braced Pearl, and you made a "triangle" of a braced bow, the bigger one would obviously mean the limb was weaker. Can someone else please chime in/help a brother out here? LOL
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 04:26:52 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 04:28:42 pm »
we're being quite critical, it bends fairly evenly and one of your limbs is stiffer, i just cant tell which one  :laugh:

I'd probably just shoot it a dozen times or so and check tiller again. thats just me though
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 04:31:18 pm »
we're being quite critical

True that.

EDIT: I agree that this bow is slightly stiff tiller wise on the right limb mid limb, but only a bit. What I was talking about is which limb is stronger (or more likely to be stronger) if there was any confusion. And not really talking about this bow but bows in general. Like I said I was guessing, and that it is hard to tell from pictures when the bow is this close to tillered. And it is a very nicely tillered bow. Sometimes I believe it is easy to go from helpful critical, to unhelpfully cynical, so I apologize if I was more of the later. If it was me, I would be happy with the tiller without thinking twice and make the weaker limb the top limb. Although it takes a while to get there, there is a line between perfecting a bow and just pointlessly inducing set by removing weight.

Pearl, you can see that the bow is tilting upwards to the right, and like you said the right side has a bigger triangle. This indicates the limb is weaker and working more on the right, coming to an asymmetrical balance similar to what you would see in the braced profile.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 04:57:06 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline parson

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 05:33:23 pm »
I am an admitted rookie, but looks to me like the bow isn't level on the tree, tilting very slightly left. That would also make the right "triangle" a little larger.