Author Topic: seasoning yew  (Read 11075 times)

Offline waterlogged

seasoning yew
« on: August 16, 2007, 01:01:02 am »
Anybody have any hints or tips for seasoning yew. I've got some really great stuff that I don't want to screw up.

Thanks
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps. ~Emo Philips
I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: seasoning yew
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 01:14:23 am »
If it is in stave form, seal the ends and store in a cool dry place off of the ground. If it is a trunk, at least split it in half , seal the ends and store the same. How bout some pics.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 12:21:29 pm »
Here is a picture of yew billets from a tree I cut in 2005. 
I sealed the ends with varnish.  The XS image with varnished ends was taken just after I hauled the yew out of the woods on my bicycle. Then I stored the log under my deck (Montana has low humidity) since 2005.
I cut the short log into billets this week - nearly two years later.  The wood is in perfect condition.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 12:25:22 pm by OldBow »
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

SimonUK

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 12:40:26 pm »
In my opinion, keep the bark on while it's drying.

duffontap

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 04:18:24 pm »
In my experience, Yew is about the easiest wood in the world to season.  Strunk, Welch, myself, and others who live in damp climates don't even seal it most of the time.  Unhealthy Yew will check regardless of what you do and healthy Yew probably wont.  To be safe:  release the tension in the wood by reducing it to staves and billets, or at least halves and quarters.  Leave the bark on or peal it off and coat the sapwood with shelack. 

J. D. Duff

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 06:22:52 pm »
I've had yew do some really weird things when it dried, but that's cause I kept it in a warm, dry house.  Keep it in a cool, shady place and you shouldn't have any problem with it.

Marietta, Georgia

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 01:59:31 am »
Don sent me one of the yew logs that he hauled 6 miles out of the Montana wilderness on his bike. :o It wasn't here a week and it had 3 major checks. :'( This is a 4" log, un-split. I still have it and one day I'll get at least one bow out of it. ;) That is wood going from dry Montana to moist NC.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC