Author Topic: crow feathers  (Read 13928 times)

Offline GaryR

crow feathers
« on: March 09, 2012, 11:11:28 am »
The other day we saw 2 crows in the field behind our house. I immeadietly thought of fletching. I didn't go for the pellet gun because they were some distance away and for some reason my gun isn't consistant. Would crow be good fletching had I got one?
Gary

Offline jermcramp1

Re: crow feathers
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 11:16:40 am »
I took a couple crows last summer with the same idea before I had made any arrows, they looked big enough but the wife made me toss them because she didnt like them in the car with us...
Even the dogs get the crumbs...

Offline GaryR

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 11:19:47 am »
Now that brought me some laughter, thanks buddy. I think they would be coarse enough, just hope they are big enough.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 12:05:55 pm »
Check your game laws where you are at. Most places have a season on crows.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 12:59:18 pm »
Check your game laws where you are at. Most places have a season on crows.

That's what I was hoping to see, It's true, there is a season on crows here in Inidiana.  How about not worrying so much about killing something for the feathers and just try to find some?

Crow does make good eating though, so if you have to shoot one, make sure you make the most of it.  ;) dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline GaryR

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 01:52:29 pm »
Bowartist, I did take the kids to the duck pond last weekend and found a hand full of feathers. Most of these feathers are not primaries and therefore not big enough for fletching. I have found some feathers at our property in the country but I'm not sure if buzzard feathers are allowed to be picked up so I didn't. It is a shame to see good feathers laying on the ground and not be picked up. What a waste.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 02:12:30 pm »
Be VERY carefull about picking up feathers. This can get you into serious trouble. I agree, I hate to see good feathes just laying there but the issue is, how to you prove the fletching on your arrows was made by found feathers and not from something shot.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 03:20:54 pm »
Buzzard Feathers are NOT legal in Tejas... :(

I've eaten Crow on many occasions through the years...
Both, the kind that flies and the kind that don't.

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 04:49:08 pm »
Gary,

Check out the "owl feathers?" thread on this page.  If you haven't looked @ it yet, it may give you an idea of what to do and vise versa.

dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Tim B

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 05:09:02 pm »
No raptor feathers which include eagle, hawk, falcon, owl, buzzard may be used or in possession unless you are a licenced falconer or a Native American with a valid CDIB card and a permit to have them or else you are taking a chance on getting a healthy fine and possible jail time.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 09:17:28 pm »
Buzzard Feathers are NOT legal in Tejas... :(

I've eaten Crow on many occasions through the years...
Both, the kind that flies and the kind that don't.

:)

-gus

I hate eating crow.. Never taste quite right  >:D

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 11:12:32 pm »
I have quite a few redtailed hawk feathers as well as great horned owl feathers, but I'm afraid if I try fletching with them I am going to get bit or footed badly. 

I imagine my USF&W permits would be rapidly voided as well. 

On a serious note, vulture primaries would be excellent fletching because of the extraordinary stiffness of the web or vane of the feathers.  They are very strong feathers, but not so much better than turkey primaries that it would be worth the extra effort and overwhelming risk.  With a good quality magnifying glass and a feather identification key a Conservation Officer or USF&W agent would know within a minute whether you had legal fletching or not.  If there was a question, it would go in for DNA testing and they'd have an answer right quick.

With just one Federal charge on your record you'd be branded for life.  You'd never make it thru a game check again without having your vehicle tossed like a crack house bust!  Is it worth it,  really?  Not when there are sources where you can get 100 #2 turkey primarys for as little as $25.  The cost/benefit ratio just ain't there. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline GaryR

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 01:20:21 am »
I assume no one has experience using crow feathers?

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 01:56:31 am »
i use crow feathers all the time they work as long as you leave them a little higher cut than turkey, but be warned that if their is a season only makew your kills during that season a polching ticket is not worth it for a crow feather at all.even the tail feathers make decent fletching so go ahead and use them.
doc

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 02:24:39 am »
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX