Author Topic: Two birds with one stone  (Read 13266 times)

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
Two birds with one stone
« on: August 16, 2007, 10:02:49 am »
Hey, Im wanting to grow some cane for arrows,and keep the wife happy. Was wondering if anyone knew if its possible to grow cane in the garden and have it look like her other plants of decor? Or will it look wild and grassy,depending on type-species? Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

MattE

Re: Two birds with one stone
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 10:35:46 am »
If you are referring to cane, that is in the bamboo family, definitely not! It spreads through the root system and ryzones will start popping up in all directions plus, it is hard to get rid of, once established. 

DBernier

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 10:45:25 am »
A friend of mine in Mebane NC planted about 2 sq. ft and it has more than doubled in size every year for 7 years. The patch is about 20 ft sq. Lots of arrows.

Dick

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 11:30:18 am »
Find clumping type bamboo instead of spreading types. Trust me. Bamboo can be quite ornamental and look good in the garden, but can spreadlike wildfire if it's not a clumping variety.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 12:09:34 pm »
What you ahve to do is get a liner, either plastic or rubber and put it around the place where you want the bamboo/cane to grow, the roots won't go through that.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 12:11:38 pm »
I take that back, plastid would probably work, but I don't think rubber would. Here is a link to a barrier you can buy for bamboo.   http://www.bamboogarden.com/barrier.htm

Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 01:36:17 pm »
Bambusa is a clumping type(non-invasive) of bamboo and makes excellent arrows. Depending on where you live some bamboos may not be hardy in your area. Bambusa is good through hardiness zone 8.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 02:13:10 pm »
Thanks for the input. Bambusa will do okay in zone 5 Im sure. Any idea how tall it grows? Anyone heard of horsetail rush,equisetum hymale? I think it is also called pygmy bamboo. Also found a  phyllostachys japonica,arro bamboo used in japan.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 02:14:50 pm »
        Like Pat said get a clumping type which is not invasive. Plastic liners will only work ifn ya go down 3' around the plant.Some of the invasive are very pretty . Nurseries and foks in the business use a 3 ' wide piece of flashing all around the plant and sink it into the ground till just the top shows about 1" er so. Like said it spreads sthru a root rhizome and will take over like ya never seen :o >:(......bob

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 02:19:04 pm »
                  Bamboo grows all over the world in different climates hot an cold, except the artic of course. Do a internet search fer it and ya will see many kinds..........bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 05:00:49 pm »
It is true that you want the clumping type not the running type.  There is no way to be sure you can stop the running type from spreading.  There is a lot of info on the internet about how to grow boo.  I got some from Mullet in the spring and all was well until the dogs dug it up.   A mister on the plants can will help a lot in dry climates.   Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 05:05:55 pm »
Barriers are iffy-I've seen bamboo go under 3' deep flashing, spread under paved highways and buildings. The Equisetum hymale you mentioned isn't a bamboo, it's an interesting plant, but way too flimsy for arrows. It is abrasive with a high silica content, so it works well as primitive sandpaper or for scrubbing pots and such.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 05:25:01 pm »
The bambusa I am refering to is Bambusa multiplex and from what I have read, it is appropriate for zone 8 or higher(warmer). Do a google search for it and see if that is correct.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 05:37:38 pm »
                          Iam glad Steve (hillbilly) said that , I forgot ta say it. Barriers are used by nurseries that sell the spreadin' type BUT they usually dont keep plants that long. Like said barriers are iffy. Bamboo is like ficus , its gonna run.........bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 07:00:47 pm »
One other thing to consider is planting in containers. Some boo will do really well in a container and even indoors.  ::) Unfortunately, most of the cold hardy bamboo are runners.  :-\  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah