Author Topic: 1st PITH Point, more practice points  (Read 1721 times)

Offline gstoneberg

1st PITH Point, more practice points
« on: March 10, 2012, 12:39:23 am »
I decided I'd better take a stab at making a point for the PITH trade as badly as I've been knapping.  I took some pictures of the process hoping I'd get lucky and get a point and have something worth posting.

Started with this.

Got a little aggressive  with the initial thinning and lost a little width.

First pass of indirect percussion.

Ready for pressure flaking.

Finally done, 165gr.  Funny how pictures show goofs in symmetry so much better than my eyes... ::)

Oops, notches are off too.  On the good side, it has a cool little inclusion with some sparkly stuff in it.

Gonna have to go back and widen those notches to even them up.

George
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 06:55:56 pm by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline TRACY

Re: 1st PITH Point
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 12:43:16 am »
Looking good George! What is the rock, the cortex has some cool color.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 01:12:31 am »
I got this rock from Patrick Blank, not sure exactly what it is.  I've tried to keep that red cortex in a point several times but have only pulled it off once.

Got to thinking after I posted this, that I probably shouldn't have put pictures of a PITH point on here.  I'll use this one for practice.  Have some Alibates flint coming on Monday.  Probably do one from that...after I do another warm up. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 01:57:09 am »
Nice looking point there George. I like that color.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 10:41:49 am »
Good looking practice there George. Looks to be some cooked perd. I've had that rind turn red like that after cooking a lot and can't seem to keep it on the point either - just too darn thin..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

Re: 1st PITH Point, more practice points
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 07:01:56 pm »
That sounds right Paul.  I've been out in the shop awhile, first cleaning up the notches and symmetry on last night's point.  Then I spotted a couple with my spalls that I'd given up on because they were too thick.  Cleaned both of them up and finished them.  Not sure one of them looks like anything that would have been made by our ancestors. :D  Lastly, I took a look at the point I made shortly after I started with a hole through it at the tip.  I'd wanted to corner notch it and didn't want to risk breaking it...until now.  Good day so far.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline David_Daugherty

Re: 1st PITH Point, more practice points
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 01:46:20 am »
very nice points!
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel