Author Topic: Cane Arrows (by a Master Arrowsmith) (pics)  (Read 18950 times)

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
Cane Arrows (by a Master Arrowsmith) (pics)
« on: August 16, 2007, 07:12:37 pm »
Thought you folks might like to see some pics of some Cane arrows that Art Butner made for me. Trust me, these are works of "Art", no pun intended (well maybe a little  :)). I am so pleased with these fifteen arrows. I have made Cane arrows and love the way Canes shoot and hold up, but Art's put mine to shame in all aspects. Bless your heart, Art, and your skill and patience.

Three are "Hunters" with tied on fletching, and headed with his own handmade Trade BHs also.

These arrows are "Spot Seeking" buggers, as long as I do my part properly. They make me want to be better -  :)

"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Cane Arrows (by a Master Arrowsmith) (pics)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 07:41:31 pm »
They are great looking arrows.  Sometimes I wounder if my shooting would be better if I got someone who knows what they are doing to make me some.  :-X Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline ber643

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 08:35:49 pm »
It probably couldn't hurt - unless one has the knack for it or really works at it. Most any of us can make shootable arrows and get a really good'un now and then - but guys like Art strive to make all of there arrows "Real Shooters" - or the don't become an arrow - IMO  :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 11:24:15 pm by ber643 »
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

jamie

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 08:49:00 pm »
art does great work.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 10:08:14 pm »
Yep, I've got one of Art's cane arrows, he makes nice'uns.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 11:34:10 pm »
  Very nice!I'm lucky to have a few Art made me.His arrows are so nice I told him I hated to shoot them.The next ones ,he wrote on them"for making meat only,not for display".I shot the first hog on the hunt with one in June.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Little John

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 12:33:57 am »
You are a lucky man. I am also lucky to have a set Art made for me last year to use on a Colorado Elk hunt with Pat. Never got to loose one last year but test shot them recently and they are ready for the August 25th  elk opener. Truly a work of art and love. Thanks Art, and you have Elk steaks coming as soon as I connect.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 12:43:36 am »
I have the set Art made for my elk hunt with Kenneth plus a few others he made and gave me. Art knows the ins and outs of arrow making and executes it perfectly. I've learned a lot about arrow making in the few years that I've known Art. ;D
  Bernie, welcome to our exclusive club! ;)        Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ber643

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 08:20:13 am »
Thanks, Pat, I'm very pleased to be in it, for sure. I have lots of special arrows from special folks (including you, and Dano, etc.) but never a "set" of "shooters" like this. I'm blown away. (I did ask Art's permission to "show and tell" a little bit - LOL)

I have 4 from Art with (wood) selfnocks (one is a Japenese Bamboo). He asked me if I wanted these plastic or wood, and told me the selfnocks are fine for hunting but not for 3D or practice. I agreed that one wouldn't want to have others (or themself) destroying their selfnocks in subsequent shots - on purpose or by accident -  ;D

Thanks again, to all.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline ber643

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 08:26:14 am »
Here is the Japaneese Boo (with the selfnock) that was one of Art's personal "Shooters" that he gave  to me at ATAR in July.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 08:28:24 am by ber643 »
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline ber643

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 10:41:50 am »
Here is a couple close ups of the Trade Points:

and here is a close up of the little symbol that Art puts on most everything he hand makes. Those who are blessed with something he made, have probably seen it. He calls it "Stalking Man" and it adds a nice touch of primitive (and art). The bowman is kneeling and there are three little birds above the buck - neat, huh??? His nephew even copied it onto the back of his uncle's favorite cap for him:

Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 10:46:23 am »
I would be afraid to shoot them so nice. Of course if I had arra's that nice maybe I would the target once and awhile.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline DSwankster

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 03:08:58 pm »
I also have some of Art's arrows, and a bow!  I've been fortunate enough to be one of his many apprentices since Pat B gave me his name at the ATAR shoot last summer.  As beautiful as all his work is, he makes it to be used.  In case you're reading this, thanks Art!

Offline artcher1

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 07:38:41 pm »
For those of you that don't know Bernie, well, he's rather special around these here parts. He puts in a lot of time and effort for the kids at our rendezvous (ATAR) each year so when he asked me to build him a set of cane arrows I jumped at the chance.  Just my way of showing my gratitude for all his hard work. Glad those worked out for you Bernie.

Kenneth..... yeah, haven't forgotton about those elk steaks ;)!

Eddie, way to go one that hog!!!! Hope my arrow is OK ;D!

Pat, a big hello from my bunch! We sure missed you this year at the rendezvous :'(!

Hi Danny, good to see you on-board. You making any shavings yet!-ART B

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 11:15:11 pm »
I keep my set of Arts arrows on disply in my living room, I carry two with me hunting. I bring them to all the gathering we have and they draw a lot of attention. Steve