Author Topic: Cane Arrows (by a Master Arrowsmith) (pics)  (Read 18951 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Cane Arrows (by a Master Arrowsmith) (pics)
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 11:32:55 pm »
  Art,good to see you on here.We even got the shot on video.The sad part was the arrow broke at the foreshaft.It's fixable.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2007, 07:54:05 am »
I just noticed on the trade points they appear to be shapened on one side only and on oposite sides.
Is there a reason for this??
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline artcher1

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2007, 08:18:01 pm »
Fix 'er up and send 'er back out Eddie! No danger in the air if'n there's no arrow in the air you know!

Dana, I use both the single or double bevel edges but I'm starting to prefer the single edge better these days. After reading Dy Ashby's report on single bevels I pretty much sold on the concept of greater penetration if bone is encountered. Notice the right hand bevel along with the right hand fletch. If I use a left hand bevel then I'll use a left fletch. Single beveled blades twist or rotate as they travel through a target unlike double beveled blades which plane true. Match the rotation of the arrow up with the blade's bevel and this supposedly creates a greater spiltting/separating effect of bone. Or something to that effect.-ART B

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2007, 08:56:52 pm »
  Jeeez's Art,That's why your the man.Never thought of that.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2007, 06:46:53 am »
Thanks for the answer art, it never dawned on me that one bevel would affect rotation. I'm doing some trade points and
found its easier to sharpen just one side I would never have considered the spin factor.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2007, 09:05:36 am »
Art is full of  pieces of (useful) wisdom and info like that and it rolls out of him so natural and unassumingly that no one ever feels like he is "talking down" - just sharing knowledge. He really is a great asset and well liked person to listen to, meet, and/or know. Thanks for the arrows and for the too kind comments, Art.

BTW - On a couple of other forums folks have asked about whether you sell and/or trade your arrows. I told them I couldn't answer that with any amount of assurance, but perhaps you or Pat B would be along with more definite info on that subject.
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline artcher1

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2007, 01:45:51 pm »
Eddie, Eddie, Eddie............... now don't make me have to send Jason down to see you for the purpose of stretching all your bows out LMAO :-*! Oh, did I tell you I give bonus points for using my arrows? E-mail me some stats. Never did repay you for those feathers.

Bernie, no, I don't sell any of my stuff but do occasionally trade.  Don't think I'll ever get caught up on all my "promised work". And getting slower by the day!

How did the shoot go yesterday? ART B

Offline ber643

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2007, 09:30:01 pm »
Thanks, Art. I didn't think so (now) but wasn't sure enough to answer them for you. Now I know what to say. Your arrows did much better than I did at Burlinton (Sissipaha) but I will improve!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 09:27:11 am by ber643 »
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2007, 10:15:24 am »
Those are beautifull arrows! I need to learn to make 'em like that! Wow!
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline ber643

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2007, 09:41:35 am »
There are a few folks who sell Cane shafting. In the current issue of primitive Archer there is a gent in Okinawa that wrote an article and offers shafts. You also could put in a search on e-bay. We have them in the lower parts of NC (growing wild) as they do in some other states. Some places are complettely devoid of any signs of them. I notice on your bio page it simply says overseas. Will you be "back" from there (as in military or civillian worker) or do you live there? If you will be coming back do you klnow what State/area you will be going to? i haven't (because i harvest my own) but you also might check or place request in the classified on forums like this and/or paleoplanet.net Hope this helps. Cane shafting is not always easy to find but it is available. If you make it to Southern, Coastal, NC I could help head you towards some perhaps.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2007, 10:36:45 am »
Check out nurseries or plant stores for bamboo plant stakes, used to support plants. Some of them make excellent arrows and usually they are inexpensive.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2007, 09:05:34 pm »
    Arne,I sent your package off last Sat.I'll get you some cane in the mail later this week.Eddie
Lakeland, Florida

Offline ber643

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2007, 01:13:41 pm »
I see your problem, wanbli. Here is the email addee of the chap who wrote the article on Japenese Cane Arrows in PA (untill you get your copy). He said he welcomes all inquiries regarding shafting materials he has. I think he has Cane, Boo, and Okinawa's equivilent to Sitka Spruce.

john.borgeson@gmail.com
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline ber643

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2007, 01:35:21 pm »
My pleasure. I spent two tours in Okinawa - but wouldn't you know I wasn't into Archery (and Cane & Boo) back then - LOL. I remember seeing it all over the place though.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline ber643

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2007, 08:06:42 am »
Good! Let us know a little of what you find out. Nope - too old for anymore "tours" now. I retired from Marines in 1972 - LOL I'll be 72 years old in Oct - and still learning about making arrows, bows, and stone points - what fun! Just wish I had started younger.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC