Author Topic: Twin sister 1st borned & 2nd.  (Read 23225 times)

tradrick

Re: Twin sister 1st borned & 2nd.
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 01:34:51 pm »
Awesome bows as usual Pappy,you are the man!!tradrick

Offline gifford

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 03:25:07 pm »
Very nicely laid out, crafted, tillered and finished. A pair of fine bows. Congrats, well done.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 04:43:59 pm »
I don't think you know how to work a piece of straight wood.  ;D You sure do know how to make a pretty snake bow though.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

SimonUK

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 09:29:10 pm »
Amazing snakey bows, all of them. I've got to ask, how do you guys get them to follow the grain so well? I've never been able to split any wood like that (yew, ash or elm). Do you reduce the depth of the stave to bow-size before splitting? Simon.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2007, 10:41:25 pm »
Pappy, You's my hero!  ;D  Those are some fantastic bows!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2007, 11:06:05 pm »
Those are great Pappy! Hopefully I'll find some sage like that someday. ;)....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2007, 02:03:41 am »
Simon, That is the character of that particular piece of osage. Good snaky osage is as rare as hens teeth. Most snaky or non-straight staves will follow the grain when split.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2007, 04:10:49 am »

hey pappy!  -  i allways try to build my bows, arrows and quivers so well, that i have a hard time giving them away; if i had made these two bows, i do not believe i could master that challenge! these are exquisite, outstandig, unbloodybelivable! whatever superlative is no exaggeration in my eyes! - saved all the pictures in a file with your name on it (i keep secret records of some of you guys!)
too bad you cannot win BOM twice in one month...
frank

ps: and hey, dick b. - challenging blank you got there...!
Frank from Germany...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2007, 05:23:38 pm »
Awesome bows, Pappy. I really like them. SimonUK, you have to follow the vertical grain on any wood but particularly osage and black locust. When split that will happen automatically but when bandsawn, you have look closely and finnd it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2007, 05:53:09 pm »
Beautiful snake bows Pappy.  ;)  The skins and finish are great also...but I'm not surprised. ;D  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

SimonUK

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2007, 06:07:55 pm »
I've tried splitting wood starting in the middle of the stave or log, but one of two things happens:

1) the split doesn't follow the grain very well
2) the split 'spirals' and leaves me with no wood to play with at one end

Maybe the wood wasn't green enough.

Offline Mickey

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2007, 09:49:02 pm »
Pappy it is awesome to see how those turned out. Rember seeing them on the bench at Cloverdale, all naked and yellow and just cut out. You really did that crooked piece of osage proud. Simply Awesome.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2007, 04:08:48 am »
Wow Pappy, that's twice as cool as just having one snakey bow..Kinda like dating twins! ;D ;) Beautiful work as usual.

Rich

DBernier

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2007, 09:19:21 am »
Kinda like dating twins!

Hey Rich S., now that is funny.   ;D   Medicinewheel, yes it is a most interesting start.   ::)  I have a lot of reflex in the stave to start. That is why I will save it for Pappy's rendezvous next year. He has a lot of knowledge up his sleeve.   ???  With all those guys advising me over there I think I can finish it. I will bring some snake skins with me. We will call it the "Tenn. Classic twister".  Pappy, you the man.  :)

a finnish native

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2007, 04:56:40 pm »
keep it up man. nice bows there