Author Topic: How to judge spine  (Read 1382 times)

Offline RBLusthaus

How to judge spine
« on: March 12, 2012, 02:02:23 pm »
for a set of wood arrows that I would like to give my cousin who shoots a bow with training wheels (compound).  If he shoots 70#, do I just get up a set of woodies spined at 70#, or, should compound shooters not shoot woodies for some reason, or some other thought that currently escapes me?  Please enlighten me. 

Russ

Offline paulsemp

Re: How to judge spine
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 02:10:07 pm »
I have never shoot a compound but by looking at the f.p.s. I would be afraid of them breaking and going into his hand. If you are going to spend the time on arrows for him, make a bow while you are at it :). Plus I have never saw a compound that deserves a nice set of woodys! >:D

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 04:08:06 pm »
RBL,

The general rule of thumb is NOT to shoot wood out of a compound.  Sorry, generous idea, but not safe. 

Maybe make him a nice set that he can't shoot out of his compound, but if he happend to get a trad/prim bow, then that would be another story and a possible convert.  ;D ;D

have fun, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 04:20:38 pm »
I had a feeling - - glad I asked. 

I would love it if he would shoot with a "real stick" and I would be more than happy to set him up with an outfit - - but no luck so far.  I will keep at it. 

Russ