Author Topic: End grain Osage selfbow questions  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
End grain Osage selfbow questions
« on: March 12, 2012, 03:39:48 pm »
I've got an unusually straight-grained Osage "stave," about 2 1/2" x 3" x 70", cut from a thick board.  The grain is oriented such that a single growth-ring selfbow is not a great option, but I think I can carve a nice end-grain-back bow from it without violations.  I'm thinking on a pyramid style, 65# @26", 60" or so in length.

I've never made an end-grain bow.  TB1 says this should make for a strong back, but is it risky not to back it?  I'd prefer to make it a selfbow if I can.

Also, should I line up the bow such that the rings across the back are in line with the centerline, or should I follow a single grain line along one edge of the top limb, and anlong the opposite edge of the bottom limb?

While I'm at it, what would be a good starting width for the limbs on this?  I've got plenty to work with.

Thanks for any advice!

-Tom

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: End grain Osage selfbow questions
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 04:39:37 pm »
I don't know what you mean by "end grain"? The board cuts are =plain sawn // rift sawn and || quarter sawn as viewed from the butt. Any of these will made a board bow provided the edge grain is straight==== tip to tip. Take a peak at my web site for board bow info.. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 05:11:37 pm »
Thanks, George,

I think I got the "end-grain" term from TBB1, meaning that the growth rings run just about perpendicular to the back of the bow.  This was originally a thick plain sawn Osage board that a local rancher had milled, about 2 1/2" x 3" x 9" x 70".  I ripped it into three 2 1/2" x 3" x 70" stave-like pieces.  The middle stave made for a nice single growth ring back selfbow.  The outside staves don't have rings tangent to a flat surface, but have nice straight grain lines down the length.  (Boy, this is hard without a picture.)

I'm thinking that I'm in good shape, since the lines run very straight down the length.  I'm just not sure how strong this type of back would be compared to a single growth ring back.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 09:36:16 am »
If I am understanding you correctly!
It will make a nice bow and be able to do all you want !
Use your regular diminsions.
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !