Author Topic: Books on Primitive Hunting  (Read 2874 times)

Offline PatrickH

Books on Primitive Hunting
« on: January 06, 2012, 03:27:56 pm »
I was interested in trying some primitive hunting whitetail with a selfbow next fall, from the ground and without a bait pile (it dosent seem to me a stone age man would waste food baiting all year to get less food from a deer.) are there any good books about paleolithic hunting tactics that anyone here could recommend?
Muskegon Mi.

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
Re: Books on Primitive Hunting
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 02:58:00 pm »
I'm in your shoes as well.  Hopefully there will be some good suggestions.  I'd particurally like to do more stalking.  Though once you take away all the scents and fancy gizmos at Cabellas I suspect that we will get back to hunting is hunting.  Not much has changed in the past 10000 years besides the distance we can kill at.  In that reguard I highly recommend Bowhunting Whitetails the Eberhart Way.  It's not about primitive archery but many tactics will be appicable particurally if your not opposed to hunting from a tree.  It's all about understanding deer patterns and behavior.

I took a doe last year by climbing a pine tree and standin on a branch.  Not the safest/smartest thing but I was pretty geeked about it.   ;D  I could picture one of our ancestors doing the same.  Still I think I'll add a safety harness to that equasion this year.  haha
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Stephen Zachary

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 05:07:56 am »
Get Fred Ashbells stalking and still hunting book. Its awesome and very thorogh

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 12:25:51 pm »
The Stillhunter by Van Dyke is a great book. He's old school, a friend to Theodore Roosevelt, I think. it's not about bow hunting but has alot of great insight into stalking deer.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 04:51:46 pm »
Hunting with the bow and arrow by Saxton Pope.  Less instructive than the other titles, and i would not recommend it if it were the only book you were to get, but it is a good supplement to others.   Great tidbits in there that pope picked up from Ishi. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso