Author Topic: Simple D Red Oak Bow  (Read 16099 times)

Offline samuraiwarrior

Simple D Red Oak Bow
« on: August 19, 2007, 01:39:55 am »
This is a red oak self bow I finished over the course of a few hours. It came from an 11' board which costed about $12. The other half is being made into a bow for my brother. Its 68.5" long overall, 1-3/16" wide at the center and pulls 45 pounds at 29". Sealed with boiled linseed oil and a coat of wax. Specs on bow in India ink. String is 12 strands of dacron b-50. Burned insignia at center marking arrow pass.

It took about 1" of set on one limb and about 1-1/4".

Weighs 15.3 oz.

Quite narrow nocks and outer limbs, I haven't measured them yet. I used the mass calculator at about 15" of tiller to see where I was and it turned out to be nearly spot on.

I'll get a full draw up within the next few days. Hope you like. I really enjoy shooting it, it is such a nice, smooth draw. And it isn't too wide to bother with the grip.

Some bigger more detailed pics on my photobucket. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v623/Samuraiwarrior/My%20Bows%20and%20Arrows/

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Simple D Red Oak Bow
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 11:43:05 am »
It looks pretty good to me.  I agree that it has a nice slender look out to the tips.  I cant wait for the full draw pictures.  How about an unbraced profile picture too.  It appears to have a fairly long stiff handle section, not exactly what I think of when I think D bow.  I could be mistaken, but if the mass was a right on at 15". It is probably considerable under mass now, and that would account for some of the set. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, because bows with a little string fallow usually feel sweeter to shoot.  But "Steve's mass calculator" is designed to be calculated at full draw. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline samuraiwarrior

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 12:14:08 pm »
It looks pretty good to me.  I agree that it has a nice slender look out to the tips.  I cant wait for the full draw pictures.  How about an unbraced profile picture too.  It appears to have a fairly long stiff handle section, not exactly what I think of when I think D bow.  I could be mistaken, but if the mass was a right on at 15". It is probably considerable under mass now, and that would account for some of the set. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, because bows with a little string fallow usually feel sweeter to shoot.  But "Steve's mass calculator" is designed to be calculated at full draw. Justin

Justin,
I used the mass formula to see if I was close and what kind of draw weight/length I could get out of the piece of wood.  It is the right mass at full draw though.  Sorry if that was confusing.  The calculator puts it at about 15.7 oz.  I think it has very little set compared to other bows I have seen posted here and elsewhere. 

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 06:28:01 pm »
You are right, 1 inch is certainly not excessive or unusual set. Especially in a bow drawn to 29".  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline samuraiwarrior

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 11:33:57 pm »
Ok, I got my little brother to take some full draw pics.  I don't know if I reached the full 29" in the pics but here are some:

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 12:18:12 am »
You did a very nice job on this red oak bow.  ;)  A good example for others to follow. 8)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 01:05:09 am »
Thanks for the pics SW.  After following along and asking several question to some of the old pros on the board, I'm convinced my first actual attempt at a bow will be a red oak board self bow.  Seeing your example makes it a personal quest for me now.  I can't wait.

One question:  Did you get your board at a large lumber chain, or did you have to get if from a specialty wood store?  If a place like Lowe's or Home Depot sells suitable wood, I may get a chance at swinging by tomorrow.   

Thanks for the inspiration.

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline samuraiwarrior

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 01:09:17 am »
I got it from The Home Depot.  Only a handful of boards will work, be very careful with the grain and reject any that seem like they wont' work.  I have also got good wood from specialty lumber stores as well, but I only go there when I need something other than red oak.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 01:15:02 am »
Nice lookin bow samurai! Reminds me of one I did almost a year ago out of some kind of oak, tiller looks pretty close - you know this one sets the stage for the next one don't ya?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline samuraiwarrior

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 01:32:36 am »
Thanks again pat, otoe and cowboy.  My next 2 bows are a r/d recurved heat treated sinew backed osage bow and a korean horn bow.  I am posting a buildalong at PaleoPlanet. 
Cowboy, definitely know what you are talking about :)  this stuff is so addicting.

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 09:55:35 am »
Very nice bow, love the simple beauty of it. Great job.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline gpw

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 10:25:36 am »
Years ago , we successfully did a number of red Oak bows , from the HD... Carefully  chose only the best boards(straight grain ) flat , quarter sawn ,or bias ring...rejected everything that wasn't  perfect ... took alot of looking /sorting ...Suspect bows were backed with cloth (polyester camo net ...I know ,I know , it's not Primitive) or fiber... but worked... ;D

Love those D bows !!! Great job Sam'...!!!!

Offline snedeker

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 10:26:53 am »
Nice.  Resembles the bow the Virginian Indian is holding in that classic early seventeenth century illustration..

Dave

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 11:24:59 am »
Nice looking bow you have there,congrats. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 12:21:03 pm »
Looks like you hit that one perfect, nice bow and tiller looks good.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI