Author Topic: Simple D Red Oak Bow  (Read 16098 times)

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Re: Simple D Red Oak Bow
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 01:24:39 pm »
GPW:  What does "bias ring" mean? 

Thanks

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline snedeker

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 01:30:22 pm »
Bias ring orientation is pretty much the same in action as quartersawn, except instead of the rings coming in from the exposed edges in the face cut at a 90 degree angle, ie on the perpendicular, the rings are on an angle - the face still looks the same but the diff is visible on the ends of the piece.

Dave

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 02:25:50 pm »
Got it guys.... I think.  If I understand correctly, from the ends of the board, I want the growth rings to be either at a right angle to the faces of the board (quarter sawn) or at a slight angle to same, (bias ring).  What I want to avoid is rings that create an arch or dome shaped pattern when viewed from the ends.  Additionally the grain should be straight on the side edges as much as possible.  Forgive me but sometimes I have to say things in my own words for it to make sense.

Thanks for the continuing education.

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2007, 03:20:42 pm »
You got the idear Otoe, I would still back it with linen or silk fabric.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Kegan

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2007, 04:35:40 pm »
Gotta love a simple D. Half as much work and all the performance of a well crafted American flatbow ;D.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2007, 05:41:28 pm »
Impressive bow there SW, have to disagree with half the work tho Kegan.... ;)....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2007, 05:43:19 pm »
A fine bow you have made! I like it those bows out of boards :)