Author Topic: Knapping with cowboy (pic heavy)  (Read 7149 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Knapping with cowboy (pic heavy)
« on: March 17, 2012, 10:52:22 pm »
Today I had the great pleasure of visiting cowboy (aka Paul) and breaking some rock with him.  You know you're at a knapper's place when the decorative rock around the trees is all flint.

I drooled over his debitage pile (and even more the georgetown pile behind it):

I came to learn to run the ishi stick, but I think the lesson on thinning was even more important.  He thins his preforms effortlessly.  I kept missing the mark and knocking width or length off mine. :-[  He made a thin little knife blade I took home and then worked on a really pretty point.

Here's his first point and mine (not quite done - on the left)...did I say Paul is FAST??  He did 2 in the time I took to get mine partway done...

He had some beautiful point displays in his house.

I'd still be there, but my wife called to say we'd been invited to a crawfish boil and it was starting in an hour (I was nearly 2hrs from home).  I made it just as the first batch hit the table.

What a wonderful day!  Thanks Paul.  I'm so glad we finally got together for my lesson.  I'll be out practising tomorrow.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

Re: Knapping with cowboy (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 11:36:29 pm »
Ohhhh man ! I bet you had a blast & crawdads to boot! Looks like it was a fine day. Congrats on the thinning lessons.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 12:34:52 am »
It's fun spending the day with someone that is truley good, isn't it?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 12:43:50 am »
your a lucky man George, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 12:59:32 am »
Thanks for the pictures George!!  Looks like a good time, especially the the crawfish....thats one thing that I really miss about home.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 01:31:02 am »
It's fun spending the day with someone that is truley good, isn't it?

O yea, he'd say we can get that hump by hitting here, here and here.  3 hits and it was gone.  Then I'd go try it on mine and have to scramble like crazy to get past the problems I caused.  I need lots of practice.  Awesome to see his level of skill.  I had a lot of fun too.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 10:11:42 am »
The only thing to make the day better would have been to have the boil at Cowboys place. Looks like a lot of fun and worth the money for gas.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 10:33:54 am »
 Now that looks like a good time.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 11:00:13 am »
Well good morning George. I'll tell ya - I'm glad we finally hooked up! Have been needing someone to sit around and shoot the bull with while chipping. I don't feel like i spent enough time with ya though so I'll deffinantly have to hook up with you and the others out in Cross Plains often. Sounds like a good time. Use them legs with that Ishi! Tip of the day ;) ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline julieb

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 12:50:54 pm »
We hung in there and got a few made. Here's one of Indiana hornestone, Brazos river chert, Pappyite 8), a gift from George (thanks again George), and some odd looking perd. Need to practice more, made pretty good triangles but when it comes time to notch they all look a little silly, ha :o. Oh, and here's a knapper immediatly following a swing in deep contemplation ;D..
Being that right person is just as important as finding the right person....

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 02:51:44 pm »
Nice points brother!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 04:09:31 pm »
...and here's a knapper immediatly following a swing in deep contemplation ;D..

Yeah, he's shocked that previous flake ran as far as it did, and clueless why the one he just watched didn't... :D  How did that guy get so old???

Thanks again Paul,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 11:24:20 pm »
"tonnage" like they all say". Work the devil outa all you have then find some more. You'll be an expert in no time. Old? I guess a lot of miles beats the alternative :). We're just peaking over the horizon George :)..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 11:30:48 pm »
Yep! Didn't look older then me when you were down here. ;D ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 12:25:35 am »
You guys are great. :)  I wish I'd had more time to hang out when I was there Eddie.  Now I want to visit more knappers, it is a blast.   I do get impatient Paul, think it should go faster, but I suppose not. :(

George
St Paul, TX