Author Topic: tiller change with shootin  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Sempertiger

tiller change with shootin
« on: March 19, 2012, 07:57:34 pm »
I don't have a picture right now, but I had this bow tillered ruffly even when I first got it to my pull weight and length. I've since put a hundred or so shots through it and it appears that the lower limb is significantly more bendy than the top one.

I'm curious what I should do at this point. I'm thinking that my options are to leave it alone, but I'm not sure I want to do that with as off as the tiller looks. I can adjust the tiller on the upper limb to match the lower limb, or I can shoot it a bit more and see if the top limb starts to break in more like what the bottom limb is doing.

The bow was 55lbs@28" 69"ntn pyramid with 2" at fades down to 1/2" at tips.

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
~Albert Einstein~

Offline paulsemp

Re: tiller change with shootin
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 08:21:30 pm »
with a center shot bow the bottom limb is shorter and appears to bend more.  Does it feel even when you draw it?  If so I would leave it.

Offline Sempertiger

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 08:44:02 pm »
It pulls and shoots well. I noticed the reflection in a puddle while shooting and thought it looked strange, so i put it on the tree and saw how it's changed. If I hadn't seen the reflection, I probably wouldn't have noticed at all. I've certinly not seen any change in accuracy. I'm just concerned that it's short lived, as it sits.
~Albert Einstein~

Offline PeteC

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 09:29:31 pm »
S.Tiger.Your tiller in the photo looks very good to me. If it is off a little,you could always heat treat the belly just in the area where you had a change.I've done this many times with success.On your next one,try leaving the bottom limb a little behind the top limb,(positive tiller),then during the shooting in process,you will end up right on the money.JMHO God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline randman

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 10:29:27 pm »
Tiller looks fine to me too. The only thing I notice in the pick is that you are holding it and drawing it low on the bow (rather than from the center. Look at the length of the string above your drawing hand compared to the length below it. That may be why you are getting the impression the lower limb is bending more. Even with that the curve looks even to me.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 11:36:32 pm »
Looks good. I usually tiller the bottom limb slightly stronger to keep it from weakening a bit. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 02:31:41 am »
I do the same as George. The bottom limb looks a little soft, but not too bad.
Gordon

Offline Sempertiger

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 03:17:42 am »
37 shots once I got home...

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,31710.0.html

Is it possible to fix that? BTW, I'm having to flex the bow to get the crack to show up. it stays closed when unbraced.

JS
~Albert Einstein~

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 07:25:51 am »
I had a bow suddenly go wildly off tiller once, it was the first time I'd had it happen and it freaked me out.
It was an Ash flatbow and the lower limb went soft as heck. I had to re-tiller the upper limb and I lost about 15# draw weight before it was even.
Heat treating the belly recovered about 10# and it's stayed stable ever since.
If I didn't know better I'd have thought someone had seriously overdrawn the bow, or trodden on the lower limb. It was a big eye opener for me. I posted the prob' on here and the guys picked me up, dusted me down, and pointed me in the right direction.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 12:36:25 pm »
   THE DEER WILL NEVER KNOW
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING