Author Topic: Ash "Molly"  (Read 5241 times)

Offline Holten101

Ash "Molly"
« on: March 20, 2012, 12:24:49 pm »
Hi all

After a long break trying to restitute an archery induced injury (no…its not gone yet.-(). I was kinda forced to make a bow (I ended up making two actually) since I have talked my local archery club into including a primitive class for our next 3D shot….ofc the first prize was to be a ”real” bow, and it was up to me to make one.

What you see is the result. An Ash ”Molly” 63” ntn and about 40-45# at 28”. It is slightly overbuild, ill admit that, but it kinda have to be since I dont know how far it will be draw or how it will be handled.

It is suprisingly fast, and could get even faster with further reduction to the levers. There is no hand shock and allmost no vibrations when shot (it sound like a dampend compound bow…not at all unpleasing imo).

The piece of ash was all most too perfect, making it look a bit like a board bow….I wouldnt mind a little more character. I did have to remove the outer three rings since it had some worm damage.

Profile:

Limb:

Handle:

Brace:

Draw:

Its good to be back…thanks for viewing.

Sorry about the quality of the photos

Cheers

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Ash "Molly"
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:33:06 pm »
Very pretty indeed. Is "pretty" too feminine? How bout them Saints?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 12:56:56 pm »
Looks good to me. Bottom limb looks a little weaker but a nice bow indeed. Glad you are back at it. I like that molley style. Have'nt done one yet but got one half roughed out on a hackberry stave that will eventually get finished.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Dane

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:09:52 pm »
That bow is very handsome, very clean, just nice all around. Pretty is a good word, too. I bet it is a lot of fun to shoot. I need to get back to this design.
Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 01:14:41 pm »
I have not a clue on molle tillers or design, so I will just say that is one nice piece of ash and I like the clean lines as Dane stated.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 01:20:49 pm »
Yup that's certainly sweet and elegant.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 01:26:47 pm »
    That looks beautiful to me. It's probably my favourite design and I really like a bow without all the frills. As far as I'm concerned, the shape and the curves as it's bent say it all. Lately I've been working on longbows (they're pretty too) but yesterday I felt like I needed a break, so I started a birch Molly. Felt sort of like going home.    Rob
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 01:56:36 pm »
Very nice job. The bright natural wood is really cool looking.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 01:58:24 pm »
Nice simple molly...should be smooth to pull,and pleasant to shoot

Offline dwardo

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 02:13:52 pm »
Real nice, clean and pretty.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 03:23:31 am »
Nice ash,good grain, sweet lines, and a nice bend... 8)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline druid

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 03:28:04 am »
Proper bend, good work. One question: is there some special reason for keeping even thickness of stiff parts? You would loose lot of mas tapering there thickness to the end and they still would be stiff.

Offline petew

• Peteward.com
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 03:36:50 am »

Nice looking bow.
Hers is an Ash one I recently made.
share your knowledge and ideas

mikekeswick

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 05:31:22 am »
Well executed tiller. How much set did you get? Have you tried heat treating ash before?

Offline Stefan

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 06:41:53 am »
Not a big fan of mollies but this one looks goods! When shooting a 3d I like to use a fast bow with a heavy drawweight, makes figuring out the distance on a target a bit less important...if you would like more speed maybe you should reduce the levers on the next one.....Keep this one as is.

Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo