Author Topic: 2nd Annual Cross Plains Get-together (Pictures Added)  (Read 42078 times)

Offline gstoneberg

2nd Annual Cross Plains Get-together (Pictures Added)
« on: March 20, 2012, 07:18:46 pm »
All,

I have set April 20-21 as the 2nd annual flint knapping/hog hunting get-together near Cross Plains, TX.  Not exactly TX-Jam, but lots of fun and we will go after piggies, though they've been hard to find lately.  We've been known to eat well too. ;)  Of course, if somebody wants to work on a bow we can for sure help with that.  Maybe I should post in the bow section too?

Let me know if you're considering coming. 

Thanks,
George
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 11:27:00 pm by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline seider

Re: 2nd Annual Cross Plains Get-together
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 12:01:26 am »
Ah hck i did not know cross plains had anything like that i will be there i live in may.  That is a real easy drive

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 10:18:55 am »
Played Cross Plains in football back in the day. Sounds like fun I would love to come but like always It depends on work. I've found a new source of tab flint that works great with a little heat.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 04:19:16 pm »
Sounds great George! Unless i'm dead or at work i'll try like ---- to be there. Sure would like to sit with you Tower! Bring some of that tab :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 04:24:18 pm »
WOO HOO!!  ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 04:42:56 pm »
I second that Don, but I know it's a looooong way for you.  Sure hope you can make it Paul.  I already need another percussion lesson. 

Seider, it's nothing special.  We meet at my deer lease camp site, sit around and break rock.  Last time I was out there a couple of us walked around with bows stump shooting. That was really fun.  We also gathered shaft materials (youpon holly I think) and juniper staves.   The landowner will come if he can as he's interested, but he wasn't able to last year.  Once it gets late if you feel like hunting I have 2 pop-up ground blinds set up a few yards from feeders to try for hogs.  Unfortunately, that'll be new moon weekend so it'll be real dark at night.  I have a night vision rifle we can shoot which makes it a lot less primitive...and a lot more productive (assuming the hogs are coming in).  But, we might try to set up a red LED light to help us shoot with a bow.  There are 2 sets of bunk beds in the shed, but it's pretty rustic.  Patrick rolled out a sleeping bag on his pickup tailgate and slept there last year.  I usually take the night vision rifle and sleep in one of the blinds that has a bed in it.  There's also a little motel 6 miles away in Cross Plains.  You're close enough to drive home if you don't want to stay out there.

Since we're a small group we normally each bring food to share and cook on the grill.  There's a windmill well for water (not sure I'd drink it) and we use a generator when we want power.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 05:04:37 pm »
Sounds like all the creature comforts a human could want :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 05:38:10 pm »
I've got my eye on somethin' new this year...  if only it had a skeeter net... 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 05:43:24 pm »
NICE!
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 07:53:21 pm »
Man this is looking like its going to be a great gathering!! Count me and some Dutch salsa in.

Good times,
Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline seider

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 12:28:00 am »
There should be no problem with that.  I cant shoot a bow anymore until i get my shoulder fixed i have one with training wheels and i cant even pull it back.  I may bring a rifle along if thats fine with you.  I have a jungle hammock with netting so that is not problem.  Look forward to it.  Which way from cp is your dearlease?  Really which highway? So that i have an idea were it is.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 01:12:11 am »
The lease is west of Cross Plains off highway36.  You can bring a rifle to hunt hogs with, I sure will.   Hope to see you there.  It'll be fun.  There are a couple trees just perfect for a hammock.  I brought one out, but the sun weakened it and I fell through it one day.  May have been  weight I put on too... :-[

Looking forward to it Mr. C.  I was hoping I could count on you.  Sure hope my pickup is working by then.  You can bring whatever nationality of salsa you want.  We may give you a hard time though. 8)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 02:49:42 pm »
Found the right Thread!

George, I'm A-planning on making it out to your lease.
I'll bring my AR with a little night vision scope on it.

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 04:20:53 pm »
Woohoo!  This should be real fun.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline seider

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 12:27:06 am »
Alight i plan on being there i know that area pretty good my family use to have a big ranch at cottonwood but they sold out when they got older and could not take care of it anymore.  Most of it was just pasture land old peanut land not really worth much now.  Hopefully i will be able to make it if atleast for the day and part of the night i have been pretty busy at work and have been working half a day on sun to get cought up and it does not look like its gonna slow down anytime soon.