Author Topic: 2nd Annual Cross Plains Get-together (Pictures Added)  (Read 42074 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: 2nd Annual Cross Plains Get-together
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 11:09:58 am »
Looks like some good stuff there, and nice points!  I need to go rock hunting some more.  I think I'll go back down to Temple and combine a hog hunt with a flint search.  The wheat is too tall there now but once that's out of the field in May I'll be after the piggies (and flint) again.

I'm really excited about seeing all of you guys.  I love sausage of any kind! ;D  I'm going to try to get an eating sized pig between now and when we have the get-together  and then work on a way to cook it whole out at the lease.  My smoker is too small, but maybe I can scrounge something.  There's an old one out there but I think it's rusted out.  If anybody who's coming has a smoker they could bring that would hold a 75lb or so hog let me know.  If not, I might smoke the pig at home and then just warm it up over a fire at the lease.  Might have Mary whip up some calico beans unless one of you guys would rather bring a big pot of beans.

Paul, I was wondering if there'd be time for you to demonstrate how to heat treat some flint in a fire pit while we're there?  The burn ban was not in effect the last time out and we've gotten more rain since then so I don't think there'd be a problem having a fire unless it's terrible windy.  Even then, the camp is down in a clearing that is protected from 3 directions.  Just a thought, and I don't want to take away from the fun, but I'd sure like to see it. :)

Again, I'm really looking forward to seeing everybody.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2012, 02:47:57 pm »
Heck Y'all it's gonna be tough being patient for three weeks!!!  :)

George I'm currently planning on bring my Webber Grill and some Cabrito to throw down on it.
Will also bring some Taters... :)

Unless y'all would rather have fried fish.
In which case I'd bring the burner and frying gear.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2012, 03:10:34 pm »
Gus,

There is a gas grill there, as well as a fire pit we occasionally cook over.  As far as meat, I've never had Cabrito so I'm game there and I love fish so I'm game there too.  We have a 2 burner propane fired camp stove-top out there, assuming it wasn't damaged in the vandalism.  You might could get away with just bringing the pan to cook fish in if you go that way.  There are 2 dutch ovens we keep in the shed we can cook with as well.  The one thing we don't have is a big skillet or griddle to cook pancakes and eggs in.  I have about a 12" skillet, but we're gonna have more people than that.  I've got some quarter inch steel, I could weld up a griddle to put over the 2 burner propane stove?  Of course, then Paul would see my welds and know what a hack welder I am. :-[

I'm sure glad I picked that weekend.  Since this all started our daughter and granddaughters are coming to visit and will be here from right after Easter until the Wed before our get-together.  My name would have been mud at home if I'd messed with a visit like that in any way. ;)  Of course, once my wife gets that new baby in her arms she'll hardly know I'm there. :D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2012, 03:36:03 pm »
Of course, once my wife gets that new baby in her arms she'll hardly know I'm there. :D
Yes, like grandpa won't get his share. ;D
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2012, 03:46:25 pm »
Yes, like grandpa won't get his share. ;D

That's the beauty of having more than 1 granddaughter. 8)  When grandma gets distracted with one, there's another available for grandpa time. ;D  I prefer playing with the potty trained granddaughter. ;)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Gus

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2012, 04:43:22 pm »
HAH!

I hear ha.
We still have one in diapers, and even though I have attained Master's status in diaper changing, I'll do the dance when he's potty trained.

I could bring Cabrito and Fish...
Just need to figure out how many people will be eating and what arrival time would be good.
We could do fish Friday night maybe and Cabrito Saturday afternoon?
Not trying to co-opt the cooking if other's are planning on cooking.
Have a good size stainless Skillet I could bring to cook pancakes and what not in.

I guess I should ask when are folks getting there?

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 06:36:07 pm »
Bring the skillet...thanks.  I don't care if you plan the meals Gus.  I do suspect there'll be quite a variety of food before we're done.  Hopefully as we get closer we can get more of a feel for what everyone is bringing.  There is a grocery store in Cross Plains, 6 miles away, so if we find out we need something it's not that painful.  I don't think we have much in the way of paper plates and plasticware out there now.  We did, but have been eating a lot. ;D ;D

I'm glad you asked about arrival times.  I normally take a half day off and try to leave home as close to noon on Friday as I can which gets me to the lease at 4pm or so.  If you (or anybody else) wants to get there earlier, I'll work an earlier shift or take the whole day off so I can leave earlier.  I just need to know.  Keep in mind that there are only 4 beds out there plus 2 beds in blinds we can use.  Cell phone coverage out there is spotty.  Verizon works most everywhere but not many other carriers.

That's all I can think of for now.

George

St Paul, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2012, 06:52:09 pm »
I'll get there Friday around 8pm.  I'll bring ice, plates, cups, and utensils.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Gus

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2012, 06:57:55 pm »
If I get out of here around 9:00am on Friday I should be there around 4pm or so.
Plenty of time to unwind and get ready to cook... :)
Fish Friday!

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline neuse

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2012, 12:59:04 pm »
I cut what I think is a nice peice of elm this weekend, 6" in dia., I will bring that to split into staves.

Is anybody from Dallass going that might be interested in splitting the cost of a pop up camper?

I am anxious for this get together, I will be there Friday afternoon.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2012, 02:06:04 pm »
Glad you can make it.  I emailed Ricky to see if he was interested.  I have a blind to sleep in, otherwise I would be interested in splitting a camper.  Then again, the way I snore nobody in their right mind would want me in their camper.  Are you planning to arrive before 4pm on Friday?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Gus

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2012, 02:19:00 pm »
Planning to sleep in my truck...

:)

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline neuse

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2012, 03:43:55 pm »
I will plan on being there at 4:00.
Will you provide a map or directions to the gate?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2012, 04:15:20 pm »
OK good.  Yes, I will a PM a map to the gate to everybody who says they are coming.  It looks like we're going to have a nice group.  Hope the weather cooperates.

George
St Paul, TX

Stringman

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2012, 05:45:48 pm »
Sounds like its gonna be a great group! Wish John an I lived closer, I might have to talk him into a trip like that in the future!