Author Topic: 2nd Annual Cross Plains Get-together (Pictures Added)  (Read 42536 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: 2nd Annual Cross Plains Get-together
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2012, 12:01:50 am »

I prefer to fillet the "loins" off the snakes Cipriano.  Do you guys care if I do that before we fry it up?  It makes the pieces small, but much easier to eat.
George

Gus, George wants his rattle steak "kosher."  >:D O:) :laugh:

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2012, 01:19:02 pm »
Looking Good Y'all!

Cipriano, we can field strip some or most of the snakes for them that want it that way, no problem.
Just save me a piece or three bone in... :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2012, 12:45:26 am »
Actually we'll do it however the folks there want it.  If I'm the only one who wants it boned I'll just do a little for me.

The forecast has changed for Friday.  Now they're saying there's a 30% chance of thunderstorms on Friday as a cold front moves through.  The high will only be 70 and lows will be in the mid-40s both Friday and Saturday nights.  Might be a little chilly under the stars.  High on Saturday should be mid 70s, but the winds are probably going to be out of the North and pretty stiff.  Normally that suppresses hog activity but we'll see.  Fortunately, the camp area is protected from the north though it'll follow the road around some.

Some have asked about finding flint out there.  I have found some, but very few chunks actually large enough to make points from.  It's on the tough side, but my friend Ricky made a nice point out of a raw spall from out there when I was just starting.    If you want to do some exploring, I'll show you where I've found flint in the past.  However, from experience I can say the odds are way better in the buckets of rock I know we'll be bringing.

I've decided to take the whole day off on Friday as I'm anticipating my truck will not be done until Thursday afternoon last thing and I have a lot of loading to do.  Hopefully that will get me out to the lease in the noon-2pm range on Friday.  If my truck does not get finished I'll be taking my little Saturn out there.  Sure hope it doesn't come to that.  I'll post on this thread when I'm ready to leave on Friday so you'll know when I'll be there.

The eggs sound great Paul, thanks.  Looking forward to throwing a little stone under your fire myself.  Might bring a cobble of coral we can spall and heat if you don't have any already.  Also plan to bring a little alibates that needs heated.

2 more days...I can't wait.  You all should have my cell number from the PM.  Feel free to call if you have questions or on Friday if you need directions or get bored during the drive.

George
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 01:06:37 am by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2012, 12:56:28 am »
This is making me very envious! Sounds like you all will have a great time!
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2012, 01:12:13 am »
One real long day of driving and you can join in the fun. 8)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2012, 01:18:44 am »
I have thought about it. I really did. Just can't happen this year.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2012, 01:32:51 am »
You're coming down in July, maybe I'll set something up with Paul when you're here.  Be tricky, as the kids are here then too.  I'll give it my best shot.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline neuse

« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2012, 10:55:07 am »
I wish it was Friday already.

Stringman

« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2012, 12:26:35 pm »
I have thought about it. I really did. Just can't happen this year.

I'm with ya Bevan! I hate putting things off for another year, but it just ain't in the cards right now.

George- I hope ya get ur truck fixed! If memory serves, that part of the country is better navigated from a truck cab! You guys have fun this weekend and take plenty of pictures! (and eat a snake steak for me!) If you all get the kinks worked out maybe next year a group of us will crash that shindig.
Scott

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2012, 01:20:09 pm »
Thanks Scott.  They just called and said I have 1 bad catalytic converter and the other one is borderline.  So, now we'll find out if a pair of cat converters will make my engine problems go away.  I'm skeptical, but at least I'll have the truck for the weekend.

Do bring cameras everyone!

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2012, 01:25:41 pm »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Gus

« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2012, 02:02:13 pm »
George I hear ya on the Truck Issues...
Mine went into the dealership yesterday as it was locked into 4 wheel drive and wouldn't unlock.
Luckily I found a loaner to make the trip.
But like you I'll be a Truck Loading Mad Man once I pick it up this afternoon.

Really looking forward to getting outa this berg. :)
On a side note I may have to skip bring the AR/Night Sight this trip as I did not get a chance to shoot it in this week as planned.
Truck issues getting in the way.

But I will bring everything else, cooking gear, telescope and what not.

Look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow afternoon!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline criveraville

« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2012, 02:05:04 pm »
Can't hardly wait :laugh: I am hoping to be there by 5 ish on Friday.  I am looking forward to the campfire.  Diego has a game on Saturday at 3, and I am still working that out >:D

I have a story that was published when I was a young lad I would like to read "around the campfire" if yall are interested.  It is a true story about my father's uncle that died from rabies.  Oral traditon passed down from my father and put to print. 

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline criveraville

« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2012, 02:06:43 pm »
If memory serves, that part of the country is better navigated from a truck cab!
Scott

Well yes.. Unless you are me then a mini van or my old camry do just fine ;)

Cipriano

Offline Gus

« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2012, 05:02:26 am »
Just about got everything together...
But do to circumstances beyond my control I was not able to get the Pico De Gallo and beans together for Saturday Nights dinner.
The Cabirto and fixens are still good to go though.
And have everything but Tarter Sauce together for Friday er... today's dinner... :)

Also was not able to shoot in the AR/Night Scope.
George, should I bring it along anyway?

See Y'all soon!

-gus

Conroe, TX