Author Topic: Hackberry recurve build along, real time hopefully. ** DONE **  (Read 157391 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Im going to try another build along, hopefully much better, in real time and more complete than "Twisted Sister's" was. I have a good friend that I wanted to build a bow for. He is a wheelie guy, but cant say "no" when I offer him to bring a bow and some arrows home for a few weeks. He draws 25" on a good day. I love my hackberry and had the perfect chunk set aside for just this occasion. Its a few years old and ready to rock. I am going to build a 58" ttt rigid handle static recurve with a heat tempered belly, sinew backed and whatever tips I choose when I get to that spot. Below is the stave I started with. Its widest point is 2.5" and its narrow point is 1.25" by 58".

DISCLAIMER: Im hearing allot of rumbling about "speed" and "fast". I may be a bit hyper when it comes to bow construction. However,  this build along isnt a race or a way to show how fast I am. Speed has NOTHING to do with it. Im only recording my time spent because we get asked often how long it takes to do certain things, or how long it took to build a certain bow.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 08:04:30 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Hackberry recurve build along, real time hopefully.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 07:37:27 pm »
As you can see the back needed some work. I went down two rings and found some good stuff. It's clean of cracks, knots and kinks for the most part. Once I got a good back with my draw knife I layed the bow out. I found my center then went 2" beyond the line both ways to make my grip section, then 1 1/2" beyond those lines to create my fades. Once I got the handle layed out I went out 12" beyond my fade lines, this will be my parallel section of limb. From there I went out 4" and tapered to 1 1/4" wide and carried that to the ends. I will leave my ends wide until I get the bow recurved and heat treated. As of now I have about 45-50 minutes into picking out a chunk, cleaning up the back and laying it out. Unto my best friend, Mr. Bandsaw! Oooooh I love that thing  :D :D :D

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 07:43:21 pm »
I will be definitely be following this one!  Can't wait to see the finished product :)  Thanks Chris!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 07:44:06 pm »
When I cut blanks out I always cut outside the line and never worry about what I leave behind, a GOOD ferriers rasp will eat down to the lines in a very few minutes. Its not worth trying to stay on line only to wander in and wreck a blank. Needless to say my blanks can be a bit Frankensteiny when they come off the saw, but I promise the lines I drew on will still be seen! Once I got her cut out I headed back to the shop to start roughing in a better taper and getting her cleaned up some. After cutting it out and roughing in a taper I had another 60 minutes spent. I will be adding more in the coming days as I work on the bow. Again I plan on doing it close to real time.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 08:08:44 pm »
This is going to be great!!!!! I really like what your doing by keeping time of the time.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 08:10:35 pm »
looking good buddy ;)...so im assuming if this is in real time that youll be flinging arras tonight with it mr speedy mcgee :laugh:

Offline coaster500

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 08:18:31 pm »
This will be good.... Pearl Drums style :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:37:15 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 09:20:04 pm »
Yes Sir!

I'll be a watchin'... :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 09:56:18 pm »
Come on..... What's takin' so long  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 11:11:01 pm »
Chop, chop, pudden pop ;D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 11:44:16 pm »
Real time? I guess we're on PD time, now. All that would have taken me a week! Lookin good so far!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 12:00:36 am »
Looking good, Drums.  What?  You gonna show real time pics in your pajamas?
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 01:49:03 am »
You guys are going to give me recurve feever

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 02:38:03 am »
I bet by now Ol' Pearly is in the back yard with spotlights shooting that hackberry bow
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 10:49:57 am »
You guys must be thinking of Crackhawk, he is the speedster around here! Im just steady.