Author Topic: Hackberry recurve build along, real time hopefully. ** DONE **  (Read 157406 times)

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Hackberry recurve build along, real time hopefully.
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 02:20:37 pm »
Whos on crack ? !!
Are you done yet ?!!!
TICK TOCK !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 02:21:55 pm »
Pudden Pop!!!   :) :D ;D

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 02:26:17 pm »
I just added sinew to the recipe so you smart butt, tough guys are just going to have to wait even LONGER to see her finished up!!! I may even slow down some just to antagonize.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 03:45:12 pm »
We love it !!
where are the pics of the sinew process ? !!
 Pearl You all ready know there ain't anybody slower than Me , so no real presure here !! :)
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 08:23:28 pm »
Andale Perla.. Andale.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 08:41:25 pm »
I have always wondered how that was spelled Cip, thanks!

Day two - 2 hours total

I layed out a simple 1/2" thick thickness using my .99 cent brass compass  ;), no taper. I use my ferriers rasp to get me close, then finish it off with my Shinto. I finish the whole limb with my scraper when Im done with the thickness. I like to keep all edges at least rounded off during the whole build at all stages, and especially when any bending is going to happen. My sanding block is easily my second most used tool.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 09:16:47 pm »
I worked the handle and fades as close to finished as they will get for now. I floor tillered the bow as close to perfect as I could get it. I prefer to have my bows floor tillered, or even long string tillered prior to any sinew or heat treating being done. I feel your less likely to get a suprise off your caul that way. I then sanded the entire bow down with 60 grit and rounded the edges more. If you keep the surfaces you intned on heating up smooth wou are more likely to get a good, even temeper job and less burnt frays. I use a cheap Wagner two-stage gun for all my dry heat work. I start at the fades and work towards the tips, clamping as I go. In this case I moved my gun HALF its diameter every 90 seconds or so. This gave me the color I wanted and hopefully the temper I want. Every build is different so be sure to experiment some until the color you want comes around. I went 20" up the limb and stopped. I see no good reason to heat treat a portion of the limb not working much. You will notice a clamp on the opposing limb. I learned the hard way a while back that bows rock in that caul. The first limb I would do came off basically straight while the second would be highly reflexed.....hmmmm Einstein? I now place a clamp on that side to prevent the rocking and get a perfectly even reflex. I did one limb today and will finish the other tomorrow. Im whipped.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 09:23:04 pm »
Looking good Pearly.  I really like your shinto rasp and heat gun stand
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 09:26:39 pm »
You guys must be thinking of Crackhawk, he is the speedster around here! Im just steady.

Crackhawk ;D  ;D  ;D
Looking awsome ,i do love build alongs
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

blackhawk

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 10:06:14 pm »
your throwin in the towel at 6:30 and already whooped....liar,ive seen you go for hours on end straight right along side me...i think you need another hit of dew and get back in there. you got plenty of time to finish off the other limb

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 10:16:38 pm »
Lookin good so far PD. You got  me wantin one of those shinto rasps.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2012, 10:24:10 pm »
your throwin in the towel at 6:30 and already whooped....liar,ive seen you go for hours on end straight right along side me...i think you need another hit of dew and get back in there. you got plenty of time to finish off the other limb

Quit nagging me! Its all done now alright............I will let her sit until Monday.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 12:32:30 am »
Is it me, or does that heat gun stand look an awful lot like a mic stand ???  I'm all for making things work for other than their intended purpose! ;D

Lookn good! 

Offline SA

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 02:21:12 am »
good timing for this thread I just roughed out my trade bow , its a snakey hackberry and  I will be following this one so I can steal some ideas  >:D
Shawn Acker

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 08:38:53 am »
Is it me, or does that heat gun stand look an awful lot like a mic stand ???  I'm all for making things work for other than their intended purpose! ;D

Lookn good! 

Thats an old desk lamp Kevin. It works very good for the gun.