Author Topic: Hackberry recurve build along, real time hopefully. ** DONE **  (Read 157405 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: Hackberry recurve build along, real time hopefully.
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2012, 02:03:37 pm »
Looking Good Indeed...

Been lusting after one a them Japanese saw rasps...

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2012, 09:55:03 pm »
Day 3 - 2 hours total

The bow came off the caul and held at least 80%. That made me grin. One limb has a touch more mid limb relfex. There is a good chance I will designate it as the bottom for now. The blank is DEAD straight and flat. Thats very important for static recurves. I attached some pics showing my tempered area and where I start and finish the process. Keep in mind this bow will not be bent at all for 4-5 days while its moisture adjusts back to fairly stable. I can still work on various things, but no bending.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 10:09:32 pm »
While the bow rehydrates from tempering I will steam the static recurves in. It doesnt take much equipment to bend wood. A pot half full of very low boiling water, some tin foil and a piece of wood to bend. I just finished up some new static jigs and I was anxious to test them. I made two so I could do both limbs on the same boil. Its important to be sure you never lay the back of the bow on the rim of your pot. It may burn it or scar it. Most wood I steam for 30-40  minutes per 1/2" of thickness. These tips are about 5/8" thick so I steamed them for 50 minutes and it worked like a charm. The wood bent easily and with no tension cracks. I make the whole bend at once on all woods. This particular bow has very short statics, only 3 1/2". I wanted as much working limb as I could get with this short and narrow bow. I will leave the whole riggamaroo in the shop until Monday. It will give the bow time to stabalize.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2012, 12:42:05 am »
A pot half full of very low boiling water, some tin foil and a piece of wood to bend.

Some metal strips will do a good job of keeping splinters from lifting on the belly as well.

"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline rps3

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2012, 01:21:23 am »
Looking good. I am not allowed to use the kitchen stove anymore for such things...at least when the wife is home.

mikekeswick

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2012, 04:51:08 am »
Looking good. I am not allowed to use the kitchen stove anymore for such things...at least when the wife is home.
What they don't know won't hurt em ;D

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2012, 09:30:25 am »
Lookin real good. I steamed a fairly green peice of osage once years ago and the kitchen walls turned yeller. Was along time before wife woul let me steam in the kitchen again.
Steve Bennett

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2012, 09:47:52 am »
I have an actual full stave steam rig in the shop. I use the kitchen for small stuff only.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2012, 11:23:32 am »
Very informative build a long....learning alot, PD. Thanks!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Gus

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2012, 04:42:04 pm »
Looking Good PD!

Got me a Hot Plate for outside steaming...

I didn't realize you toasted the limbs that dark...
Been going for a nice Carmel color...
Do you toast Osage this dark as well?

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2012, 04:53:21 pm »
I dont toast osage Gus. It doesnt need compression help.

Offline Gus

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2012, 05:00:33 pm »
Ah... Mi Savy!

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2012, 08:34:01 pm »
Very nice so far always nice to see how the masters do it ;D look forward to following allong!! Thanks for doing this!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2012, 08:36:56 pm »
Sweet man!!  Thanks for posting this!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline MoNative

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2012, 01:42:21 am »
Looking good Pearl! 8)
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.