Author Topic: Glue stick idea.  (Read 737 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Glue stick idea.
« on: March 21, 2012, 01:45:24 am »
So I'm alwayse thinking.  And I had this idea for my glue up form to get various recurve shapes.  I like the Bamboo backed bows.  It's easiest to glue that crown up I think.  So far for my R/D bows I've just put blocks under the tips and used a blend of clamps, rubbers band clampls, C-clamps and wedges to controll my shapes and the distribution of my curves.  This gives me flexability in bow length.  Just move the blocks in or out for short or longer bows and then space under the riser or limbs to controll where and how much bend you get. 

Now that I'm hankering to try a Recurve I was thinking aobut how to go about that.  I've done some shallow ones on the same form and the curves wind up being a bit different.  The bows all shot fine but it bugs me. 

So i'm dreaming up ways to get that curve in the laminations, and still be versitile and not make a dedicated form for each bow length.  Then it hit me.  I could make the radius ramps that slide onto the main rail via Dovetail joint.  Slide them togeather for short bows and appart for long bows.  Switch them out for different radius if necessary. 

He?  good idea!

Speaking of ideas I need to photo the scarf joint jig and something else.  I think I'm going to remake that for the band saw and just clean up with sand paper.