Author Topic: Bad News Knapping  (Read 6818 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Bad News Knapping
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 04:19:12 pm »
Thanks Bevan.  Still no news from the surgeon.  I was able to turn a huge spall into a little dovetail...very frustrating and therapeutic at the same time...

I had it to a nice little neck knife blade and went to take 1 more flake at the tip and shortened it a lot at the base. :-[

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 04:59:11 pm »
George,

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad's Heart Attack.

Your Dad and you and you family are in our prayers.

Love the points, its good to keep your mind busy and steered away from worry as you wait.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 02:34:56 am »
Thanks. I'm still in Texas.  Dad has a couple options with surgery and once that decision is made I'll be headed over there.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline half eye

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 09:07:54 am »
Comes in bucket's full sometimes....hope and pray it all works out well for your dad, keep up your own spirits too.
rich

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 09:33:56 pm »
Thanks Rich.  I'm trying to get to Florida but have been delayed twice so far. Thank goodness it's a direct flight.

I made 3 more points last night. Also scored a small pile of flint.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 11:31:21 pm »
Sorry to hear that George, I hope all goes well with the surgery.  Take care buddy.

Offline seider

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 12:37:40 am »
Sorry to hear about your dad my family will keep yours in your prayers.  I just had to go through a very simular thing with my dad he had a mild sroke and is currently doing good just having to go to speach theropy to learn to talk again his speach is very slurred.. Again we will keep your family in our prayers.
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 03:07:33 am »
I'm sorry to hear about your dad. We will be praying for him, doctors and you amigo ;)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 05:52:40 pm »
Good news is George's flight made it here last night. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2012, 07:25:57 pm »
Boy Eddie, you and your wife were good to me to wait all that time for that delinquent flight to finally arrive.  I appreciate your help so much.  I'm driving Dad's car around now and stayed in his trailer last night.  They have free wireless in the hospital so I brought in my laptop.

I do have an update.  Dad had a tough night last night.  He's having a reaction to the blood thinners that causing problems.  It looks like it'll take a few days to get that resolved.  Not sure how soon we'll be able to get back to working on the heart problems.  As soon as possible I'm sure.

Thanks again for the thoughts and prayers.  Keep them coming, Dad is pretty uncomfortable right now.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 10:32:15 pm »
By the way, I did a little knapping/flint collecting on Friday night and Saturday before I left.  The other hunters were very interested in the process of making points.  I did these 3, gave them all away to the landowner, hog forum owner and a friend:

I was near Temple, TX.  and found all this flint in the driveway of the farmer where we were hog hunting.  None of the cobbles are big enough to be more than a single point.  Most are buttery brown colored.  I took a scredriver and was prying it out of the driveway when the wife called.  Here's the first few I found:

and here's what I went home with:

I wish I could have found more of that dark gray stuff.  It looked like georgetown to me and knapped nicely raw.  I tried making a point with the brown stuff while I was there and it flakes OK but is very hard.  Once I come up with a way of heating some I'll try again.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 11:42:20 pm »
That's some great bleeders ya made. Nice rocks too.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 10:03:13 am »
With all the medical advances they've made sounds like your dad is going to be fine George. My dad was going through the same thing, with a few stints he was good for another ten years :).
 Congrats on the flint hunt in that guys driveway tool. lol.. You'll find down in that country and further south and west just about everybody's driveway has something worth picking in it..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 03:05:10 pm »
Thanks guys.  Dad is scheduled for a triple bypass tomorrow morning at 8am.  I was planning to head home tomorrow night but we've moved that flight back to Wed night so I have more time here.  Now that he's made that decision, Dad is feeling and acting much better.  He's a trooper for sure.

I did spot a bunch of rocks in a field on my way to the airport and I really wanted to stop and grab a few but fought off the urge.  I barely made it to the flight as it was...and then we were delayed so much I could have been 2 hours late and still made it. :(

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 03:14:56 pm »
George your Dad and You and your Family are in our prayers.
And we'll kick it up a notch this evening.

You can always ease back over and pick up some rock once your Dad is on the Road to a Mends.

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX