Author Topic: ANYONE TELL ME  (Read 2846 times)

Offline crooketarrow

ANYONE TELL ME
« on: March 23, 2012, 08:24:01 pm »
   I put a rattler skin on a osage bow everything looked really good. I was on my third and last sealing with SPRAY POLYURETHANE. I was in a hurry and going somewhere and did'nt shake it up very well. On the upper limb a white spray covered some of the skin. I was hopeing it would dry clear it did'nt. I tryed some 0000 steel wool it did'nt look like it helped but I did'nt sand with the the steel wood to much.
  Can anyone tell me if there's anything I and wipe the skin with to take off the layer of POLY or make it turn clear. It was one big skin and I really don't have another skin to reaply to the bow. It's 60" 49#@29" with about 1/2 inch of reflex problely the straightest nicest knot free stave I've worked in a couble years.  The guys waiting on the bow so any help will be tryed.
                                                                                                                            THANKS
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bubby

Re: ANYONE TELL ME
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 08:29:27 pm »
if it's polycan ya soak part of a rag in mineral spirits or some acetone to try and remove it, try it on a scrap if ya have it, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline okie64

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 10:28:34 pm »
Mineral spirits should take it off.

Offline randman

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 12:46:42 am »
You might try using a single edge razor blade vertically like a scraper and lightly scrape over the white stuff. I use razor blades as scrapers all the time on lacquer guitar finishes to level bumpy areas and remove blemishes. I even use them as super fine scrapers on colored wood inlays where you don't want a dust from a dark colored wood to stain a light wood it's next to like sandpaper would. When the white stuff is removed then re-apply finish over the top of the burnished area. Be sure to go with the grain of the scales (if they haven't been removed already).
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 01:10:25 am »
You have layers of urethane under it so use lacquer thinner,put it in a spray bottle and mist it on,let it soak for 3-5 minutes,it will tack up very quickly,once it does,keep spraying it,the white will begin to run off,once its gone,immediately neutralize it with denatured alcohol and you'll be fine! I see it from time to time at work and that's how I get rid of it. The white usually comes from moisture in the wood or the previous coat wasn't dry yet,it will work trust me! if you've no alcohol water will suffice. Ron