Author Topic: Need help with lining up tips on recurve  (Read 3220 times)

econner

Need help with lining up tips on recurve
« on: August 21, 2007, 07:04:46 pm »
I am working on a rawhide backed recurve. I can't get te string to track in the grooves correctly, it goes to the left on the top limb and to the right on the bottom limb. I have been trying to correct the discrepancy by heating the limbs close to the tips and bending them laterally. Anybody have any tips for this?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Need help with lining up tips on recurve
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 10:09:08 pm »
      I'm assuming you have already cut your nocks in?If you have and can't adjust it by cutting one side deeper than the other,you might try this little trick.I use this when I by an old collectable recurve with twisted limbs.Get a buddy to grab one end and you grab the other.Twist the limbs toward the center and a little beyond,don't get real crazy.Hold it for a few seconds(60) and then string backwards for awhile the longer the better.Depends on how bad you want to shoot it and the patience you have.You can use light heat,like a hair drier after moistoning the rawhide,but it will probally pull back to where it was.You can also try sanding the hide to make it thinner on the strong side.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

econner

Re: Need help with lining up tips on recurve
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 10:47:37 pm »
Thanks, Eddie. I think I got it though. I was applied heat to the belly side, not the back. It toasted the limbs a bit, but I think that will come out with a cabinet scraper for the most part. The stiffeners are wenge so even if I can't get the scorch marks out the colors kinda go together. I think I was just bending them the wrong way.  Once I figured that out the process went a lot easier.  Stupid rookie mistake I guess - live and learn.