Author Topic: Why not standing dead?  (Read 2031 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Why not standing dead?
« on: March 24, 2012, 07:05:37 pm »
I've seen it written here several times that you shouldn't use standing dead trees for bow staves with the exception of a few species, osage being one of them. Why is this? What is different about a tree that has died and dried in the woods, and one that I killed myself and dried in my yard?

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Why not standing dead?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 07:35:34 pm »
elements, insects. take a look at any firewood stack and you will see the same thing. When you cut & cure wood for bows, you are (presumably) protecting it from such things. Osage has a natural 'anti rot' feature that helps.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 07:47:19 pm »
standing dead is still passively wicking moisture from the ground thus it isn't drying out like cut wood is. Also being in contact with the ground means that fungus and other things have ready access to the wood and will set in quickly with most woods, especially whitewoods.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 07:52:33 pm »
You pays your money you takes your choice.
If it's standing dead it's probably been there a long time and is rotten. Some woods have solid rot resistant heart wood, most don't especially the 'white woods'.
Fallen stuff is another matter, if it's not been down long it can be fine. My philosphy is, if it looks sound and it looks good for a bow pick it up and try it, you can always throw it away or burn it later. Nothing worse than thinking 'I wish I'd picked up that log' :'(
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 10:39:23 pm »
What you guys have said makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Offline occupant

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 12:17:48 am »
I've had a few good results with standing dead red elm. One of them developed a splinter on the back, which I am trying my hand at a flax backing for it. The successful ones had to be taken down quite a ways to get past the rotten stuff and checks. I do know the history of the wood I made them from, as they came from my brothers place. The first ones I did were from elm that died 10 to 13 years ago. Only picture online is on here under wed night bow about 2 weeks ago.