Linked Events

• Hawkeye Bowmen Spring Thaw Selfbow Rendezvous: April 20, 2012 - April 22, 2012

Author Topic: Hawkeye Bowmen Spring Thaw Selfbow Rendezvous  (Read 19934 times)

Offline BrianS

Re: Hawkeye Bowmen Spring Thaw Selfbow Rendezvous
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 09:44:51 pm »
I just received word from Gerry Lee regarding the Clout shoot. Gerry will be traveling down to Hawkeye from Canada and he will run the Clout Shoot again this year. Gerry will be awarding one of his English War Arrows to the Winner of the Clout Shoot. Gerry is a true Craftsman when it comes to crafting arrows and his English War Arrows are amazing!

Offline Agincourtwarb0w

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 06:04:10 pm »
Attending this shoot for the first time this year! Can't wait, Gerry, has told me much of it, sounds like a top shoot.
Cheers,
-Jake
-For King Henry, England and Saint George!!!-

Offline BrianS

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 08:29:48 pm »
Jake,
Gerry is a first class guy. Everyone seems to have a good time at our little Shoot but I do not want to misrepresent it for more than it is. Our Shoot is a very laid back, small informal affair. Just 20 targets and a few small contests.
Looking forward to meeting you.
Take care,
Brian

Offline Agincourtwarb0w

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 10:41:55 pm »
Aye mate, but a big shoot, does not mean better ;). I have shot with Gerry, Karl and Scott for sometime now, they have explained the feel of it. A small laidback group of individuals, with there own crafts/arts of what ever aspect of primitive archery suits them best sounds like a great time to me!
Looking forward in meeting you as well Brian, all the best to you mate!
Cheers,
-Jake

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 10:36:43 am »
Jake,
It's a small shoot, but we do have a lot of fun!
If you ever find yourself on utube, type Hawkeye Bowmen into the search bar, one of the videos is from our 2009 clout shoot.
Gerry Lee, while demonstrating to everyone how it's done, puts his arrow on the target! Almost in the black!
Just about the whole camp turns out for the clout shoot and we have a great time.
Looking forward to meeting you!
Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline BrianS

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 07:25:20 pm »
I never measured it out but I believe the distance Gerry set up was over 80 yards. Gerry had said the original distances for Clout Shoots were greater but it is the longest we can set up with our heavily wooded property. Sure is fun watching those arrows fly! Hope to see a few more holes in the target this year.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 07:32:33 pm »
For those who have collected the Spring Thaw Shoot Medallions, this year's Medallion is cut from a Osage Stave with this year's date handpainted on with a primitive pigment paint. My hand still hurts for painting all of them!

Offline Agincourtwarb0w

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 08:15:30 pm »
Hi there Buffalogobbler! Looking forward in meetin' you too mate!  ;D
I will search that now, think I may have seen it, Gerry was showing me all his videos of Hawkeye, looks great gents!
For military practice one would have to hit a target the size of a man 8 out of 10 times at 220 yards. One was needed to achieve this to be in the kings army. Clout however can refer to roving as well where distances can vary with the lay of the land (such as this). Much practice was of course needed from every man from age 7 to 65, it was the law to practice after church every sunday, that is why sports such as football and bandyball was made illegal. As it distracted youth from their archery  ;D :laugh:
Cheers,
-Jake

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2012, 10:32:50 pm »
Hey Kevin I was watching your clout shoot video... looks real fun... I have a question though.... Are you the guy that said he was going to shoot first so that he could take video? If so I got a follow up... ;D

Jon

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 09:38:52 pm »
Jon,
Yea, I'm the guy that was going to demonstrate my ability to miss the target.
I accomplished that task, but just barely, because I hit the bale, about a foot from the paper.
Kevin

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 12:15:51 am »
Still a nice shot!  ;D

Anyways, I'm not sure if you remember or not but I talked to you for a few minutes at the letchworth knapin this past summer... I am the tall teen who was probably wearing a Nike cap... We talked outside the tepee and admired a scalloped bow that the gentleman was selling... Not sure if you remember but I want to thank you for bringing up hawkeye to me... Hopefully I will get a chance to talk again at the summer shoot...

Jon

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 12:37:44 am »
Jon,
I was at the knapin at Letchworth this past summer, I'll need to see your face to remember though.
It'll be nice to meet up with you again at Hawkeye this summer!
Kevin

Offline BrianS

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 07:46:39 pm »
Weather forecast calls for:
Friday - Partly Sunny with a high of around 70
Saturday - Rain Showers (1/10 to 1/4 inch) with a high in the low 50s
Sunday Scattered Rain Showers
Not the greatest weather but we have weathered all sorts of conditions over the years ranging from cold and sunny to high winds to snow to rain. Regardless of the weather, Everyone always seem to make the best of it. Our Clubhouse has a furnance and a great wood burning stove in case anyone needs to warm up.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 10:02:12 am »
Weather forecast has improved a bit. They are now saying most of the rain will take place at night on Friday.
Dino sent word he has a real nice back quiver for the Winner of the Woodswalk, Dave, Kevin and I have some unique prizes for the Cooking Contest, The Winner of the one log fire contest will recieve a half dozen selfnock turkey fletched cedar arrows, a english war arrow will be awarded to the Winner of the Saturday's Chrograph contest and another to the Winner of Sundays Clout Shoot, Phil will be donating one of his handmade candle lanterns to be given as a prize for this year's "Best Primitive Camp" plus there will be other prizes to be given out.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 11:56:09 am »
Just curious if anyone is going to video tape some of these events... I can't make it  :(  :( .. Wish I could and would love to see some of the events... I really enjoyed watching the other youtube videos Kevin posted.

Jon