Author Topic: Primitive Shooting Technique  (Read 6766 times)

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
Re: Primitive Shooting Technique
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 09:30:08 am »
Here is what I bet.  I bet if you ask those guys what their anchor point is they would look at you funny.  I also bet that they would not hit the 10 ring on 50% of the targets at your local 3D shoot.  We often make huge assumptions that because some of them hunt for food to eat that they are great shots, and a handful are, but don't for a minute think that they have mastered a form that should be emulated. I'm not trying to be rude here, merely a realist.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Primitive Shooting Technique
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 04:49:47 pm »
. If your hunting things like elk and moose bear or even deer for that matter if you don't hit a vital organ your (not all the time) in for a world of hurt. Friend of mine thought he could just grab a bow tag and stick and elk. Well he missed the lungs and dang near died from getting mailed by this animal.   If you read the Lewis and Clark journals while at fort clatsop the natives would have archery games and Target shooting, and the young boys where always practicing. why practice unless you need to perfect your technique?  Even the women where excellent marskmen. Shooting through a small hoop swinging from a tree.
I only hunt for food. And I know that if my shooting is sloppy there is a risk of me missing and the losing out on a lot of meat.
Everyone in this forum could argue many different point about this subject. But really its just prefference on the way you shoot. If you want to shoot ishi style...go for it. English style. Pinch grip. Split finger. Don't matter as long as you can hit something.
Clatskanie, Oregon