Author Topic: Molle project  (Read 1164 times)

UserNameTaken

Molle project
« on: March 29, 2012, 02:53:31 pm »
So, I've got this mollegabet that I'm working on right now, and it's really twisted up-- like double helix twisted. Rather than straightening the whole thing out, I thought I might just straighten the bending portion, because grain violations shouldn't really make a difference on the non-bending levers. Right?

Offline half eye

Re: Molle project
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 03:54:31 pm »
Username,
      Your supposition is mostly correct. But w/o a pic it would be hard to say for sure. On all of the mollegabets that I have built my levers are 3/4" X 3/4" at the lever/limb fade and they taper to 1/2 by 1/2 at the tip  (using pin knocks) I've used these dimensions up to 70# @ 28" (the heaviest Mollegabet that I made) With no issues with grain run-out.........but without seeing how yours looks I cant really say for sure. If you were in doubt about the lever integrity on your stick you can allways add a thin lamination to the belly side of the lever.
      This is just speculation like I said, but it might give ya some food for thought.
rich

UserNameTaken

Re: Molle project
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 04:22:00 pm »
Rich, that's a good idea. I think I've probably got enough wood on the levers right now, but that might come in handy if I end up taking too much wood off. Thanks!