Author Topic: Horseweed question  (Read 6721 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Horseweed question
« on: August 22, 2007, 10:31:25 pm »
I just started the abo firemaking and have had pretty good luck with the bow drill using an Ailanthus drill and board combo. I really want to give the hand drill a try after seeing the pics by Jamie and Hillbilly.  I found a bunch of horseweed but none of it has gone woody.  Can I cut some and dry it, or do I have to wait until winter til it goes woody naturally.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Horseweed question
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 11:55:33 pm »
I'm no expert but I think cut it now and season it. That shouldn't take but a few days. If you wait until winter it may have started to decay.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 01:17:52 pm »
You can cut it green and let it season, or cut it after it browns but before it starts to decay, as Pat said. I usually cut it green, and as it dries you can hand straighten it easily.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Hhop

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 11:59:36 pm »
When you refer to horseweed, what plant are you referring to? What I usually think of here as horsweed, is in fact giant ragweed, gets about 5 to 7 feet tall with thick stalk. As kids, we pulled it up in fall, the root is long and pointed, and used them as spears. I am assuming your "horseweed" may be a smaller plant.

And the Ailanthus you refer to....that is what is commonly called Tree of Heaven....is that correct?

Thanks,
Harold
You don't have to stop playing when you get old, but you get old when you stop playing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 01:49:54 pm »
Horseweed is Conyza canadensis, common in disturbed areas.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 06:23:02 pm »
I've found a bunch of it by train tracks and construction sights.  And the ailanthus is "tree of heaven' ,by us it's a non native trashy species thats everywhere also in disturbed and areas in early stages of succesion.  I'm a total beginner at this and got a fire pretty quick using it as a board and spindle only a couple days after drying the pieces.
Traverse City, MI