Author Topic: two questions  (Read 1502 times)

Offline blackpanem

two questions
« on: March 31, 2012, 10:00:24 pm »
I plan on making more arrows in the future, i bought some home depot garden stakes for arrows and they are in the working. but i was wondering what some woods i could use were other than cedar ash and birch because i cant find any of them where i live. also my dad told me about a bush called arrow wood? how well does that work? it has to be called arrow wood for a reason

Offline Bevan R.

Re: two questions
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 10:23:55 pm »
A friend of mine uses Douglas fir 2x12 from the lumberyard. You have to look through a bunch to fine a suitable board, but it can be done.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 12:45:27 am »
I buy lumber and make arrows.  I've used poplar dowels and that works well but you gotta sort through a bunch of them. 

However I'd say for my taste it dosen't get much better than the Cane Arrow.

Look on You Tube for "Otzi the Ice Man Arrow"... It's a great little build along.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 12:51:40 am »
Arrowwood is a common name but it probably reffers to arrowwood viburnum. It and other viburnums make good arrows. Give them plenty of time to cure out before you remove the bark or they will check.
  Also check out the dowels at the hardware store. If you are choosy you can make very respectable arrows with them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC