Author Topic: Effective length for mesquite  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Tortoise

Effective length for mesquite
« on: April 02, 2012, 04:57:10 am »
Was out doing landscaping and had to cut sections of  an ugly old mesquite tree that grew over the house. I got one good portion that is very straight. It's late so I'm not going to go out and measure it, but I'm guessing it's a little shorter than 45". I was wondering if mesquite any shorter works, because while cutting I found that mesquite has rock solid heartwood and oily yet straight and firm sapwood. The wood's color is very nice also. Thanks  ;)
-Peter
Arizona

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Effective length for mesquite
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 06:49:00 am »
I don't know the answer to your question.  I've tried to find a straight section of mesquite to use for a bow for a long time.  I even cut one piece I thought was reasonably straight but when I split it in half I decided it wasn't straight enough even for me. :o  I guess you'll have to build a bow to find the answer. :)  I use mesquite heavily for tip overlays (heartwood) as it is beautiful wood.  The borers love it so I'd get it treated with insecticide or debarked and sealed quickly.  I'll keep looking for a straight section, at least enough for billets.  I'm also watching for a sapling straight enough for a bow, but so far no joy.

Good luck,
George
St Paul, TX