Author Topic: getting ready for deer season  (Read 13932 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
getting ready for deer season
« on: August 24, 2007, 12:35:00 pm »
Well, I'm heading down to my GA hunt club to mow, plow and plant for hunting season opening Sept, 8. Temps have moderated a bit and it should be about only 96deg  :o this weekend. This is wet heat, Justin! ;D
   The same 8 guys have worked on and hunted this 250 ac club for over 20 years and usually during the season, especially the pre-season work days and the opening weekend, is the only time we can all get together. I will take pics. Won't be as elaborate as Pappy's weekend meals, etc, but I guarantee we will have fun ;D ...cigars, bourbon, a little food and lots of the same ole' same ole' and maybe a new stories or two.
See ya Sunday evening with pics.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: getting ready for deer season
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 02:48:21 pm »
Hey Pat, its all wet heat once you start sweating.  ;)  I sure do wish I was coming with you.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 05:17:02 pm »
Our deer season starts October 1st.  Dove starts on September 1st and it's usually hotter than blazes.  So much so I usually don't take my dog, even though she sure would like to go.  After a week or two, we usually get a cold snap and it drives the birds off.  But a dove field is also pretty good places to scout for deer. There is never a wasted day in the field.

Fall is my favorate time of year and I can hardly wait. 

Hang on guys, we're almost there.

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 09:08:22 pm »
  Send those dove on down.Our dove season starts when archery does.Sit in the woods till it gets hot then shoot some dove.Can't wait,We have turkey's and a big 8 point eating the millet as it comes up.Might be a real good dove and archery season.Even got a new Berretta for the birds  ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 12:47:58 am »
Tomorrow is the day to renew my quest for primitive big game. Will be watching a trail leading to a dry country  water hole for elk. Shot really well today so will put it into the hands of the gods. Good luck all.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 01:04:34 am »
                                      Impa te ita Kenneth impa te ita !! ;D.............bob

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 02:34:32 am »
Checked my feeder at the lease today, scralls had thier way with the thing and will have to fix it next weekend. They dumped the whole barrel of corn on the ground, but weren't but a few kernels left - good huntin this year methinks ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 11:27:54 am »
It is illegal to use feeders or to bait at all here. If you want to hunt from a blind, you better know the critters patterns pretty well.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 08:10:06 pm »
Pat, hope the big one comes your way! Just got done checking  my plots and salt licks today, after getting a rock up in the baler and causing havock with it. Deer sign looks good so far hope it hold for the season.  Enjoy your time out there and harvest some good memories if not  a deer or two! Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 10:18:16 am »
Don't have to be elaborate to be good,around a fire it's all good,Plan on working on my food plots and put some stands on this long weekend coming up.The weather has gotton a little better here also.It's down in the mid 90s.Still dry as a popcorn F#$% but maybe some rain this week.I know
yall had a good time.Season opens here on the 22nd.Wet heat here also justin. ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 10:22:18 am »
I got back last evening and am dead tired. Will post the few pics I took later. We got all the mowing, plowing and planting done. Absolutely no soil moisture too a foot down. On the way home, came through a front that gave us 1.23" of rain at home. I hope it made it to the club in GA.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 10:34:41 am »
Oh come on, make up your mind.  Dry as a popcorn F#$% or wet heat, you cant have both.  ;D  We haven't got that much rain here, maybe 1/2".  But we had gone 4 months without anything.  Combine that with all the fires, and we have major flooding.  We had a 20" wall of water go through Hamlin Valley last night. I guess there wont be many roads left come hunting season.  Oh yea, and we are expecting near 100* temperatures today with all that water, so yes we know all about wet heat.  ;) Justin
Well, we got another .66" of rain in the last 20 minutes.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 07:21:05 pm »
  Our preseason is starting to shape up.We had a tropical wave move across the state last week and I got 5" of rain in one afternoon.Then 3" Sat. and an inch on Sunday.If we could get a hurricane to dump about 10 or 15 inches before the season opens it would be great hunting in the swamps.Everything concetrates on the dry oak hammocks and the city hunters that don't like wading water leave the good places for the rest of us.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 07:48:00 pm »
I think our club got a good rain yesterday after we left. There were persimmons, grapes and I found a few white oak acorns that a squirrel had cut. The soy beans and Iron clay peas should be up for the opener. We only plant them near stands for opening of the season(legal bait ;D). I'll post the few pics I took a bit later this evening.     Pat

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 09:03:16 pm »
Looks like everybody's gettin thier strategies worked out ;D. I'm starting to get a little exited myownself - will be the first time huntin with primitive gear.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.