Author Topic: getting ready for deer season  (Read 13929 times)

Offline Little John

Re: getting ready for deer season
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 12:13:09 am »
No Elk using the water hole in the desert so will be heading to the high country for laborday weekend. Solo trip as I prefer to hunt by myself over partenering up with compounders. Pat, Elkie will have another chance, wish you were getting another one also. Maybe next year.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 02:19:08 am »
Kenneth, A year ago tomorrow is when I flew out of Asheville and into Albuquerque. The day after that we met at the Durango airport and the adventure began. ;D 8) I'll be thinking about you and Elkie over the Labor Day weekend. Aim small, miss small! Next year would be great if business permits. ???
   Here's a few pics from this weekend I was too busy eating to take pics of food. ;D 
   When you are depending on a 1946 John Deer tractor lots of time is spent like this.
 A few pics of the "Dixie Hilton". My tent is the blue tent to the right of the "Hilton". Others are to the left or behind. One pic is while we were there and the other was just before I left... I locked the gate behind me.    Our club is called Dixie Hunt Club; named for my friend Richard's Grand Dad's favorite quail dog, Dixie.  Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 03:33:16 pm »
Oh you can copunt on the John Deere tractor. Good luck Pat I hope you get a good one, you deserve it.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 04:24:38 pm »
Back at ya, Kenneth. Any luck finding elk?   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

DBernier

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2007, 06:04:11 pm »
Well I have been taking one shot in the morning and one shot in the evening. Looking good so far. Got about 7 to 10 comming around and feeding in my clover. Only one more week to go. Here's hoping.  ;)

Dick

Offline Little John

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2007, 10:53:00 pm »
Pat, headed out in an hour or so for a night time walk in and hunker down till time to hunt. Baled hay till it rained so they cant say I didn't try. now it is time to hunt.Let you know in a few days.    Kenneth

Dick, got your feathers packed up so will get them in the mail after the hunt.     Kenneth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2007, 12:22:51 am »
I hope you brought your camera, Kenneth.   Pat

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2007, 12:00:56 pm »

Been putting up stands for the past several weekends...so hot that we only manage a couple per early Saturday morning before we call it a day. Standing corn plots look surprisingly good even with lack of rain. The deer are already hitting them pretty hard. Summer plots of pea's and soybeans I guess did their job of helping to keep the deer in the area. A good rain this week helped alot on plowed plots waiting to have rape and kale planted. Had a lot of luck last year with the deer coming to feed in these plantings. Got good stand sights overlooking feeding in the evenings, and funnel locations going back to bedding area's from the foodplots in the mornings.

May try and do some planting this weekend since we've had rain. Much nicer temperatures this morning, already been out spraying weeds with roundup prior to planting a plot. Flung a few arrows also... ;)

Good huntin' to everyone!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...