Author Topic: bow woods for first time bowyer  (Read 8465 times)

haudenosonnee

bow woods for first time bowyer
« on: August 24, 2007, 06:16:39 pm »
Hi Everyone!
 I am a first time bowyer and I happen to own a small acreage of bush, while mainly softwoods there is some hardwood in there. I was wondering if birch or cedar would make a good wood for a first attempt at this ancient art, or alternatively, what might be suggested by the membership as a good starting point. Any and all input in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
 Thanks All,
 Haudenosonnee
 P.S. love the magazine

Offline Kegan

Re: bow woods for first time bowyer
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 06:37:40 pm »
Birch would make a good bow, but it isn't as strong in tension, so either back it or leave it a little longer for your draw. Eastern red cedar works well, but other varieties don't (it's actually a juniper).

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 09:02:20 pm »
Hickory is the most common wood for making white wood bows but birch I have heard will work well with the right design. If I had to do it over I would go to home depot. can I say home depot on here? Anyway buy yourself a couple red oak boards and some titebond 3. find some silk or linen for a backing. A good place to look is thrift shops. Old ties or womens clothes. This is a very easy bow to make not top notch in performance but a great way to learn to tiller without chopping down a whole tree only to find its twisted. Just my opinion. Get a little practice then go chop a tree.  try this one but dont use the drywall tape.http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/oak.htm
                                                                                    Jesse

"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

haudenosonnee

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 01:21:06 am »
thanks for the information. i wasn't planning on hacking any trees down for this experiment rather i have a few windfallen trees that are still green and thought i would give them a try. however i REALLY appreciate the input and read the build along with enthusiasm! i'll give it a try and let you know what happens. hopefully no one will be hurt by flying splinters if it blows up ;D!
thanks again for the information
cheers,
haudenosonnee

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 01:42:09 am »
Split those windfalls into staves and by the time they dry you will be a pro.   ;)
                                                                                                                Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 09:25:14 pm »
I've heard red cedar can make a repectable elb. If you are using downed wood, especially white wood like ash, hackberry or white oak check it good for bug infestation and rot. White woods don't last long once they are on the ground. Good luck.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

haudenosonnee

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 01:25:11 am »
thank you all for the encouragement and good advice.
cheers,
haudenosonnee

osprey

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 09:25:17 pm »
A good wood to start off with is vine maple. It's as good as yew but a lot cheaper. look it up in PA you should be able to find someone from the North West who sells it.

onemississipp

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 01:34:22 pm »
Here is a list of bow woods and non bow woods

http://onemississipp.googlepages.com/bowwoods

haudenosonnee

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 04:15:06 pm »
a couple of the windfallen trees are birch so i think i'll give that a try, there are a few apple trees out there and so i'll keep an eye on them for windfalls. thanks for the link it is most useful and for the information.
cheers,
haudenosonnee