Author Topic: Good source of bone points = bone guitar saddles?  (Read 2520 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Good source of bone points = bone guitar saddles?
« on: April 04, 2012, 12:43:09 am »
I never thought of that, but my local guitar center sells bone saddle blanks for a couple bucks each. I was thinking of making some fishing points out of em, or something along those lines. Maybe some barbed points? Anybody ever thought of this?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Dane

Re: Good source of bone points = bone guitar saddles?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 09:59:49 am »
Sure. You can turn bone into all sorts of neat things, including arrowheads, fishing spear heads, atlatl spurs, whatever you want. Just be sure and wear a mask or a good respirator when you work the bone. Breathing the dust is very, very bad for you. Like even lethal bad. And, it stinks! I do a lot of work with bone, and hate the working process, but love the outcomes. Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 02:01:38 pm »
I get all the bone I need from the critters I eat !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 03:22:56 pm »
They are not that big, 3" x 1/2 x 1/4.  Big enough to make a pretty narrow hunting point, but too narrow to get adecent depth on a barb on it, or too short to get multiple shallow barbs.  Maybe there are bigger pieces out there.  That is just what I saw on ebay.  It could be done, just a little retrictive from a design standpoint.  Once you get the design down though, you have a source of consistent stock. 

I use elk leg bones, that I stocked up on last fall, from game processor.  I cut them out on the band saw and the natural shapes that come from different parts of the bone (resulting from cutting along ridges) give you some good ideas for all sorts of cool points. 

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 03:32:20 pm »
Dane, I have heard that too about bone dust as well as feather dust, from grinding feathers.  Do you know the mechanism there?  Is it a acute mechanical thing like fiberglass getting in the lungs or a thing where repeated, prolonged exposure eventually leads to cancer.   
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline dmikeyj

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 04:38:56 pm »
I read a story on bone workers in India that noted "If you are over 50 here, you have tuberculosis."  It seems to be the most common problem from inhaling bone dust over a lifetime.  I also know bone usually has bacteria in it that can also cause problems, many different types of bacterias.  There is also a mechanical aspect to the dust, as there is with any dust, but I have not found any references to acute problems.  It seems more of a prolonged exposure thing.  Also, bone dust from sanding can be fine enough to get past your standard dustmasks as well.

Mike

Offline Dane

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 06:31:06 pm »
CMB, I am not a doctor, so I can't address it in detail, but I dont take any risks, and use a respirator when working with bone. It is uncomfortable and I feel like an extra from a Mad Max movie, but no one sees me in the shop :)
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts