Author Topic: "Coming to America"  (Read 1836 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
"Coming to America"
« on: April 05, 2012, 03:04:04 pm »
There is a pretty cool artical in the newest Newsweek, dated April 9, 2012, on page 13.  It is about the migrations into the Americas and the timeline of those migrations.  It is a short artical, but I thught it pertained to some of the discussions on this forum.  In one statement it says, "the authors... point out that spear heads and knives made from pressure-flaked flint found throughout the U.S. have no correlation with those found in Siberia or even Alaska. Yet they do resemble tools made by the Solutreans, who lived 24,000 years ago in France and Spain."  "Across Atlantic Ice" is the name of the book.  Thought you all might find some interest in this.  dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: "Coming to America"
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 09:07:15 pm »
Yeah, this is the subject of great debate.  There are some myths out there too.  One myth is that artifacts from Alaska do not resemble artifacts from the lower 48. That is FALSE.  Plenty of fluted Clovis points have been found in Alaska.  I wish I had more time but here is at least one website that displays such artifacts:

---http://www.alaskanartifacts.com/index_portal.html

On one page on this site, there is this entry:

...fluted points have been found Alaska at Girls Hill (4,440 rcbp), Putu (stemmed and fluted points at 5,700 rcbp), Bonanza Creek (700-1,800 rcbp), Batza Tena (1,800-21,600 rcbp), and North Fork on the Koyukuk River (12,300 rcbp) (Goebel and Slobodin 1999).

Taken from: ---http://www.alaskanartifacts.com/Typology/ObscureTypology/Ak_Obscure_Typology.html

IMO, It appears that migrations into the Americas may have occurred from several different locations at about the same time and also over long periods of time. :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:10:39 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Newbow

Re: "Coming to America"
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 04:06:18 pm »
The "Europe First" idea has been around for well over a decade and it is plausible and even seductive; especially so when it was first presented because (at that time) it seemed to explain an origin for sites older than Clovis that were finally forcing a chink in the "Clovis First" armor.  An unaddressed and, in my opinion, insurmountable (barring securely dated skeletons) problem with the theory has come up since it was suggested.  That problem is DNA evidence.  There have been several attempts to establish lineage through DNA testing.  The earliest test didn't rule out the possibility of (very early) European interbreeding with Native American populations but later tests, using newer techniques and larger data bases have shown no indication of interbreeding.  The tests showed only connections to Siberia/East Asia.  For the Europe First proponents, the best that can mean is that, if Europeans did make it to the New World, they did not interbreed with anyone  and died out leaving no descendents.  Considering that there is solid evidence that modern humans interbred with Neanderthals, and that in more recent times modern Europeans weren't loath to interbreed with Native Americans, no interbreeding seems unreasonable.  Given the wide area over which the sites from which these blades, deemed similar to Solutrean, have been recovered, it's unlikely that the culture that produced them simply failed while the Amerindians that followed thrived.  If it is accepted that the last two items are reasonable assumptions, it's not hard to see why, lacking human remains to the contrary, a majority of archeologists are skeptical of any Europe First theory.  That the theory presents a reasonable possibility there is no question.  It could have happened.  At present, there is simply no compelling evidence that it did.  So, I await developments with interest.