Author Topic: Should I toast board bow belly?  (Read 1879 times)

UserNameTaken

Should I toast board bow belly?
« on: April 05, 2012, 11:10:17 pm »
So,  I'm finishing up a red oak board bow, and it's starting to take some set. I'm wondering if toasting the belly will help keep it from following the string even more?

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Should I toast board bow belly?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 11:48:40 pm »
Don't know, never toasted any of my bows. I would love to see you try and let us know the results.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 01:11:10 am »
If your bow is beginning to take set then you need to reduce weight.
Gordon

Offline danlaw

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 02:15:07 am »
I just tried out my buddy's red oak board bow. He toasted it and it shot fantastic. So I  tried heat treating a little plum self bow and it worked amazingly well. It went from a mediocre 46# @ 28" to tight and snappy 54# @ 27" (I did reduce one limb by about 3/4 inch, so it's not all heat). It has very little set now and it's a couple weeks old.

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 05:42:16 am »
It's most likely that the woods properties are somewhat to 'blame'. Oak is way better in tension than compression. Trap the back by 30% if your grain is good enough. This should be enough to equal out the forces your bow is feeling. Heat treating will also help but it's sloving the problem another way.

UserNameTaken

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 04:48:25 pm »
It's a bit late to trap it; there won't be much left if I do that. I'll drop the weight a bit & toast the belly to see what happens.