Author Topic: another sticks and stone turkey disaster  (Read 5277 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

another sticks and stone turkey disaster
« on: April 07, 2012, 02:45:35 pm »
well, Its been a long season...  hunted a loooot  and havent seen anything cept for opening morning..the "bounce off incident".   so with my new arrows and points I have just been trying so hard to get a shot.
        This Am the sound was carrying really well in the cool air....thought this is the morning to call one in.    yup there about an hour and a red head came bouncing through the woods.  pretty sure its the same bird....there is just so little sign here this year thanks to those tards that got in the pissin match over who could hunt the most during deer season.....
           so anyways here he came.  he would stop and strut and i wouldnt make a peep, then he'd drop strut and come closer...then strut again.  i just sat motionless keeping my composure. finally he stopped at 19y (stepped off later) strutted and started to get antsy and turned to leave. i drew back and he turn broadside...unfortunately, but I aimed center mass.   watch the arrow fly into him  and went "CRACK"  and he pitched up in the air flapping.  he came back down and ran about 20y back and looked sick.   i watched him for a min or two and he started to walk away...now like 40 yards..  i took another shot and landed just under him.....he just walked off..    i thought I musta bounced another off him....  but i found my arrow 15 yards behind him and covered in blood....  so i passed though him just as I originally thought...

I looked everywhere for that SOB and he is no where to be found.  I looked for 2 hours, hundreds of yards....nothin.....  man am I ever mad.  I could just eat nails.  I have the worst luck killing the turkeys ever.   musta just been breast meat, but it looked like a center punch.  But that is pretty much going to wrap up my season.  Ive had it this year.  had to work so hard for the chances I have had and nothing is going my way...now I'll never get another chance at him... I am not goin to quit on it totally, but I am done this year...just not worth it to me anymore.  I will just look towards deer season.. I know I can kill those.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: another sticks and stone turkey disaster
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 04:45:29 pm »
Friend of mine puched a .54 cal lead ball thru the breast of a turkey once.  Two weeks later another friend of mine harvested the same bird.  It was mostly healed up.  But get this!!!!  The bird was shot when it pitched down from a roost and landed at the guy's feet!!!!

I'm starting to wonder if some of these turkeys have super powers!  All they need is a cape and spandex undies!

There could be a fair chance this bird set up in cover close by, they have awsome abilities to ghillie-up and hide.  Think of how hard it is to find the hen's tending their nests for three weeks of incubation?  I've hit a total of one turkey with an arrow.  He walked off with the arrow sticking out of him, scratching and feeding with the rest of the flock.  Bloody superhero birds. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 05:19:52 pm »
im bout tired of trying to arrow these things.  I'm 100% success for shotgun kills though..pull the trigger and they never go more than a few feet...   but Man i want to quit shotgunning them and start bow killing them only. I havent hunted with the shotgun at all this year.  I have been dedicated, but cant get a break.  i was able to stop gun hunting for deer a while back, but these turkeys seem un-killable...especially since i dont use a pop-up blind or anything.  I do have to admit, I have been doing really well at getting shots for not using a pop-up blind.... that alone makes me want to continue.lol
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 05:21:15 pm »
Is it legal to use broadheads on a fishing arrow set up?  That's one way to improve your odds.   >:D

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 06:06:37 pm »
It's prolly ok...kinda like a string tracker with a retrieval method..lol
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 06:11:16 pm »
100 lb Spiderwire and a saltwater fishing reel!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 10:50:35 am »
Im head/neck shooting this season Ryan. I figure we have a 2-3" max body target to kill them and 2" max head target to kell them. At least a head shot lets them get away clean or die on the spot. 

PS. Leave that shotgun right where it is. If its about killing them with a bow for you, then do it. If you get one every 5 years it wont matter if your doing it your way. Thats my philosophy anywho.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 09:21:25 pm »
   Myself, I don't think I'd take a shot more then 15 yards, preferably closer. I also have up to three mouthcalls in my mouth at one time. Different sounding calls tend to bring them in closer. The bird I got at Pappy's had three different kinds of lead shot in it's breast; #4, 6, and a few of my copper plated 6's. They are tough. I wouldn't shoot with a self bow unless it was straight on or a head or neck shot.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 09:38:21 am »
I really appreciate you dedication and feel the same about deer and most anything else I hunt,but Turkey I have taken 2 over the years with my bow but like to eat them and their feathers to much,so now I shoot them in the face with a shot gun. I lost one last year about the same shot it sounds like as yours and just decided no more. :) :) Like Pearl said,head shot would be the way to go I think.
Kill or miss,at least I would feel better about it. :) I hate to hurt or wound anything. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 09:57:11 am »
yeah finally worked up some points that wouldnt get caught up in the feathers as easy.   he stopped at 19  cuz of a fence.   just wouldnt cross it.  luckily legally i could shoot on both sides.    yeah I am just disappointed in the whole thing. sux to wound one and sux to work so hard to be defeated.  I kinda think head\neck in the way to go except it's inevitable that I will watch a lot run away.  I just feel like Ive killed enough with a shotgun....they are fun to hunt either way...but i want to be dedicated to the bow like I am for deer....just dont know what to do bout them suckers.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 05:07:29 pm »
Hmmm, knap some Gobbler Guillotines?    >:D

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 10:51:36 pm »
thought about that JW,   but my like they would pass by his head vertical  lol
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 11:37:54 am »
  Carrying a fishing reel and spider wire not to primitive. Can you just see indains setting around  the evening fire. Hey pass the old my reels kinda sounds ruff. Don't give up (PERSESTANCE) I sould have had 20 self bow gobblers instead of 15 I've had 5 bow shot gobblers I could'nt find Really 26 I've missed 6 others.
   Theres no more feeling of disscust than getting up throwing on your pack walking 1/2 hour in the dark mostly up hill for weeks. I've did this for the intier season before. Missing when the chance dose come or worse sending and arrow through him.  So I know the rejected feeling. Makes me want to go get the 3 1/2 and go kill that sucker. But I was taught by graddad never to give up. Just go back smarter than you went yesterday.  Your luck can change with a gobble.
  Look at it as a learning exsperance. I don't just watch the gobbler disapear and mark the spot like deer hunting. Right away after the shot I'm following the bird if he's not floping. If he's hit really good he won't fly but run not that if he flys forget it. He's runs because he's thinking of a place to hind. I've found 3 ,1 bow shot and 2 shot gun that flew away.. So don't give up if he flys away it can happen.
   he first place he can find to hide he will. Either he could'nt fly or he's aready looking for a place to hide. It will be under some brush,tree top, next to alog likely. If he picks a log he'll awqays be on the oppecent side from the direction he came from.   It's not you or your stone points it's defintly arrow placement. Nothing but luck for the gobbler. He'll die or a preator will get him. Awounded turkey dos'nt survive to long. How any wonded turkey you see limbinng around. I'm sure it happens but thats just the gobblers luck hanging with him.
 When this happens any more it just makes me go right back at it with a renewed vingens. PATENCE AND PRESENTANCE is the 2 of the most impotant things a gobbler or buck hunter have to learn to constencey score.
  Don't give up your already WAY farther along and know that special feeling of doing something that not many will even atempt if they could. So throw that pack on and go back tommorow.
   YOU CAN DO IT
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 11:40:21 am »
 Sorry I misspelled oil with old.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 11:51:09 pm »
No problem, didn't notice. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?