Author Topic: Not primitive but on the cheap!  (Read 5721 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Not primitive but on the cheap!
« on: April 07, 2012, 08:58:59 pm »
Its been quite a few years since I made arrows from doweled shafts. Charlie Jefferson(Stringstretcher) sent me some poplar dowels he turned from board stock. There was one all heartwood dowel so that was my first arrow to make. The shaft is natural color and I crowned it with spray Kilz primer paint and crested with craft paint.
 The set on the far right I made to go with my 57" sinew backed osage. I used medium brown leather dye stained the forward portion but left the back of the shaft natural.
  The set of arrows with yellow fletching was stained with green and orange leather dye. The last 10" of these arrows was tapered to 5/16".
  The orange set was 6 Douglas fir shafts I won on a TG giveaway. I got the 6 matched shafts, 6 Classic plastic nocks, a bag of ground but not cut orange feathers and a roll of fletch tape.I used orange leather dye for the stain and white latex semi-gloss interior house paint for the crown. I also tapered these shafts to 5/16" so the 11/32" Classic nocks wouldn't fit.
  All of the arrows are fletched with fletch tape in a slightly offset straight fletch. I used my own burn pattern on 2 sets of these fletchings and the yellow fletched and the single heartwood poplar arrow are fletched with 5 1/2" shield cut feathers. All of the arrows have self nocks with sinew wrap for support and the forward end of all fletching is also wrapped, some with thread, some with sinew.  All were arrows were sealed with 2 coats of Tru-Oil. The tracers on some arrows is rabbit zonkers from a local fly tying shop.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Not primitive but on the cheap!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 09:40:30 pm »
They look pretty sweet Pat.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 09:47:52 pm »
The good thing, Clint is they all shoot great too!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 11:36:08 pm »
Pretty awesome, what did u use for your nock indicator?
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 01:09:36 am »
YB2, that is a drop od TBIII glue. I put the drop on where I want it, let it skin over for a few minutes then turn it over so the drop is facing down and let it dry. Gravity won't let the drop dry flat making the indicator.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 02:04:15 am »
Pat those look great and would look even better in a quiver out in the hills.  :)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 09:35:53 am »
Great job again Pat. I'm going to try those nock indexer's on attempt at self nocks.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 11:11:49 am »
Thanks Cipriano.
  Matt, they are pretty simple but you might want to do a test run or so with a scrap  to get the hang of it.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 12:08:00 pm »
some mighty fine looking arrows there pat
like the glue drop for indicator-yup, think i'll try that too
thanks
wild women don't get the blues

Offline half eye

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 07:35:47 pm »
them are about to pretty to shoot....
rich

Offline hatcha

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 08:04:28 pm »
some mighty fine looking arrows there pat
like the glue drop for indicator-yup, think i'll try that too
thanks

Agreed!  A brilliant idea and something I might look into myself.

Pat - a question on the depth of your self nocks...  Do you have a specific depth you cut/file, or do you just stop when it "feels right"?  I've filed mine about 5mm or a smidge less but a lot that I've seen through PA seem deeper.  I thought there was sometimes a worry about snagging on the string at point of release.  Ever have any issues with that?

Steve.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 08:12:28 pm »
Steve, I don't measure the self nock depth. I make one freehand bandsaw cut about 1/2"deep and open the nock up with a thin blade knife and sand paper folded over and over until I got the width I want.

Offline hatcha

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 08:47:33 pm »
Steve, I don't measure the self nock depth. I make one freehand bandsaw cut about 1/2"deep and open the nock up with a thin blade knife and sand paper folded over and over until I got the width I want.

Thanks Pat.  I don't got a bandsaw so everything I do is by hand and with files etc.  That's the main reason I got a jig made up for hand-sawing slots for trade points.  I'm always scared of "going too far" and messing the whole thing up - as a result, I tend to be too cautious  :-\  mostly that's not a bad thing but it usually means it takes me longer to get stuff done!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 09:47:42 pm »
Nice variety Pat. I just got a bundle of Charlie's poplar shafts to try out. Half heartwood and half blended. I like the feel and weight so far. Very easy to straighten to.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 10:19:52 pm »
Pearlie, most of the poplars I've gotten from Charlie make arrows(all sapwood) in the 439gr at the low end to 525 gr for the heaviest, all with 125gr points. The one heartwood arrow I made came in at 600gr. They all fly great from my bow.
  Hatcha, have you tried a masonary saw blade that fits on a hack saw handle. It is just the right size for nocks. It looks like a wire with course grit attached and a hople on each end to fit the hacksaw. Pretty cheap ar Home Depot, Lowe's or any good hardware store.