Author Topic: looking for river cane  (Read 9920 times)

Offline heartrnurse

looking for river cane
« on: April 08, 2012, 08:04:01 pm »
I have just planted some arrow bamboo today!  However its going to take 3 or 4 years before being able to harvest any for arrow shafts. In the meantime does anyone know of any areas, here in southwest florida, that I can find any arrow bamboo to harvest, for some shafts, or even river cane? I understand that river cane is widly available in Florida but havent been able to locate any as of yet.   Any info would be appreciated!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: looking for river cane
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 11:55:45 pm »
You won't find any River Cane in Southwest Florida. The closest I've found it is Ocala Nat. Forest and it is very small. There is some good Arrow Bamboo near the Stephen Foster Memorial State Park in White Springs. Also some real good bamboo at the boat landing in Hernando county, Tsala Apopka chain of lakes. I'd have to show you where, I don't know how to tell you where it's at. Or, there is a place in Lakeland that sells Tonkin Bamboo that makes excellent arrows. Save your gas looking and buy 500.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline heartrnurse

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 12:08:24 am »
Thanks Mullet....I have found some in Georgia near the Alabama border where I hunt.....but in limited quantities so far.  Where in Lakeland is the place that sells the Tonkin?  I have quite a few fresh turkey feathers itchin to be attached to something!   Mark

Offline heartrnurse

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 12:18:05 am »
Is it Bamboo supply company in lakeland that you are talking about? 

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 12:44:11 am »
Bamboo supply company
How are their products, I am thinking of getting stuff from them but worried about quality, I am just wondering because it's a pretty big commitment Making an order that big
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 01:39:14 am »
so far I've had good luck handing $3.00 to the Walmart garden center for abag of 12 tonkin sticks.  USUALY get around 10 finished arrows out of the bag. 

However last bag was a different story.  Day wasted.  12 sticks, 3 with tiny spine weight of like 20 lbs.  Not even wide enough to cut a nock in.  2 spined out at 100lbs (not kidding).  Considered setting it aside for an atl atl dart.   One with dry rot and one with a suspicious worm hole.  got 4 good arrows and three I'm realy happy about.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 10:13:05 pm »

Prarie Bowyer,
     that suspicious worm hole, is a beetle hole, much like the pine borer, and it will flat out ruin your bamboo!  >:(  :'(  Spray, it or heat it really well, and kill the little S.O.B.!!! >:(
Have them here, and they have ruined a few of my better arrow supply!  It seems great, and just as you are starting to bend with heat, it suddenly folds in!!  Then, you see all this dust fall out!  And then you see the little S.O.B., that caused it!  So mash the snot out of him!  And all the others that are in there also!  Or put them in the fire place, and get rid of the eggs also!  ;)

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 10:31:43 pm »
Mark;

Yes, it's Bamboo Supply, ask for Chi Wong and tell him it's for arrows. He'll pick out a good bundle. You would want 8-10MM x4'. I just took a bundle to Twin Oaks a week ago to save them shipping. Ask Jon or Pappy about the quality. With tax it was $55 for 500 pieces.

Or, I just brought home 68 pieces of river cane from SC, but it's green.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline heartrnurse

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 11:06:42 pm »
Thanks Mullet......I'm heading to mulberry Monday on the way back from turkey hunting in Georgia on Monday to cut some mulberry for staves.  Ill just stop in lakeland and. pi k a bundle up.  That should keep me busy for a little while. Thanks all for the help!!!!

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 12:57:50 am »
I thought that the 4 footers from boo supply were
75 for a bundle
EDIT: Ooh you
Live in lakeland, that explains the price

Mullet, do u mind if I ask for your inside man when I order?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 01:14:08 am by Youngboyer2 »
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 11:47:05 pm »
Youngbowyer, Not at all, Chi Wong is the owner.

Heartnurse, the place is off of Drane Field road right by the Airport. Where do you live in Florida?
Lakeland, Florida

Offline heartrnurse

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 12:00:54 am »
Thanks Mullet......one if the guys I hunt with in georgia lives only  a few miles from there. I live in fort myers.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 06:49:08 pm »
Took the plunge and ordered me a bale. Should be enough to last a week or so. ::)
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 12:14:09 am »
Bevan;
 I know someone on here that culls all the crappy ones out, ones that don't spline in the range he is looking for. And sticks them on ebay roughly straightened, cheap, by the dozen, and gets more then enough to pay for his investment. I think He said he gets around 65% usable shafts out of 500 for his spline.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 04:24:27 am »
I think He said he gets around 65% usable shafts out of 500 for his spline.
I'm going to give the ones I don't want to JW >:D
I figure if nothing else, I will get good practice working it. I also want to make a bunch of 'throw away' arrows to throw away at tree rats this fall.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.